Are all interviewed applicants viewed equally?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

croez

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
When you receive an interview at a medical school, do your stats no longer matter? I have heard conflicting information on this. Some have said that if you receive an interview, then all that matters from that point on is the interview. Or in other words, the student with a 3.5/510 will be viewed the same as the student with the 3.8/520- all that matters afterwards is the interview. While I know there is much more to an applicant than GPA/MCAT, for this example, let's assume the student with the 3.8 is a much stronger applicant on paper.

I've also heard that interviews work more like this- after you interview with the member of the adcom, the entire admissions committee will then meet and decide on who gets accepted. The member of the adcom will discuss your interview and give their thoughts on you as an applicant. Based on that information, as well as all of the other aspects of your application, a decision is made. In this situation, your stats very much matter even post interview, and the person with the 3.5/510 is at a significant disadvantage to the 3.8/520, even if the interviewer liked the student with the lower stats more.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Do we know which schools operate in which manner?
No -- that's the secret sauce that we mere mortals will never be privy to, but the universal answer to OP's question is that no school uses the entire application as merely a filter to decide who to interview, after which decisions are made based on nothing but the interview. Exactly how various schools weigh every element in an application varies from school to school, and the formulas they use to score applicants and make decisions vary greatly and will never be disclosed publicly.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

Wow, I had no idea something like this existed. Thanks!

Edit: Wow, props to you for remembering these comments from 2015!

Last edited:
Yep. Interview is more or less a component of one’s overall app. The guy with great ECs and a 3.9/520 can put up a merely OK interview...not great, not horrible...and still have a good shot at getting admitted to their state school. The 3.5/508 needs to shine in the interview on the other hand.

Reactions: 1 users
So what gets an applicant with a 502 mcat and 3.8 sgpa in when many with much higher mcat do not get in?

So what gets an applicant with a 502 mcat and 3.8 sgpa in when many with much higher mcat do not get in?
The other parts of their application. Though a person with a 502 is highly unlikely to get into a MD school barring major extenuating circumstances and other achievements.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
The other parts of their application. Though a person with a 502 is highly unlikely to get into a MD school barring major extenuating circumstances and other achievements.

Yes was accepted last week.

Has alot of leadership activities and other EC just average.

When we grant an interview, it’s because an applicant has earned a certain number of “points” for MCAT/GPA/life experience etc.

Then we interview them, and the interview report is Available to view alongside their metrics and stuff.

Then all the (30ish) adcoms vote awarding a score from 1-5. This global score is based on the entire package.

So in short, Yes your metrics still matter. But practically we don’t invite people to interview who’s metrics aren’t good enough to earn them an acceptance cuz that’d just be a waste of time. So your metrics still matter but if you got the II then your metrics are good enough.

Reactions: 5 users
Yes was accepted last week.

Has alot of leadership activities and other EC just average.
Congrats. I suspect you may be too humble about your accomplishments and/or life experiences. There are other things considered beyond grades, including but not limited to demographics, LORs, etc.

• Love
Thanks, no not me, my daughter and yes I believe her LORs stood out as she was highly recognized at her school.