Are all non-clinical volunteering opportunities equal?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ihave Nonamè

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
If my volunteering is gardening work on a farm (one that is involved with the community, holds field trips, lessons, etc) and another communicating with the elderly by phone in these times, would these be regarded differently than say interacting with the homeless population?

I'm very passionate about gardening and I have a soft spot for the elderly, so I feel inclined to stick to those two volunteering opportunities. But does it seem adcoms would prefer we take on something that puts us out of our comfort zones?

I would do all of them if I had time but I have other extracurriculars I need to make up as well...

Members don't see this ad.

You want experiences where you learned something valuable, preferably those related to 15 competencies.

Presumably volunteering with the dying or homeless directly would be more impressive than volunteering at a suburban hospital gift shop for example, however, if you are passionate about what you are doing and can expound upon your experiences in your application/interviews you should be alright in my opinion. Just my $.02!

Members don't see this ad :)
If my volunteering is gardening work on a farm (one that is involved with the community, holds field trips, lessons, etc) and another communicating with the elderly by phone in these times, would these be regarded differently than say interacting with the homeless population?

I'm very passionate about gardening and I have a soft spot for the elderly, so I feel inclined to stick to those two volunteering opportunities. But does it seem adcoms would prefer we take on something that puts us out of our comfort zones?

I would do all of them if I had time but I have other extracurriculars I need to make up as well...
The gardening isn't going to do much for me, as I prefer that people engage in service to others less fortunate than themselves.

The volunteering with the elderly is very admirable.

Reactions: 1 user
Volunteerism that helps people directly is more highly valued that work done to support a charity but not directly with those in need (e.g. organizing walk-a-thons and other fundraisers).

Helping people who are on the margins of society (needle exchanges, homeless shelters, outreach to street people) is more highly valued than service to the middle class (e.g. providing entertaining science demonstrations in middle class schools, calling bingo numbers at a suburban senior center). Interacting with people who you would not ordinarily engage with in your daily life can open your eyes to the way that folks live that is different than your own life and that of your neighbors.

The farm thing might be okay if it is engaging kids from very poor neighborhoods for the field trips but otherwise, it is fine to do because you enjoy it (like playing in a garage band or doing carpentry) but don't expect it to be highly valued as a community service.

Reactions: 3 users