Dismiss Notice
Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.

are all of the AMCAS practice tests equal?

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by dreams, May 15, 2008.

1. dreams

Pre-Medical
    hey I am about to buy some practice tests and I was wondering if they are all equal in terms of being just as hard as one another??? Just didnt know if some were better to get than others???

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. RySerr21

RySerr21 i aint kinda hot Im sauna

Fellow [Any Field]
    ive heard 10-7 are the only ones that are reliable in terms of similar difficulty and predicting score. although the difficulty of all AMCAS tests have been called into question as of recently.

i took #3 just b/c it was free. its good practice.

4. jamesrick80

Pre-Medical
    Just know, lately the real MCAT has been more difficult than the AAMC practice exams, especially the May 10th exam.

5. dreams

Pre-Medical
    ok so in that case are there other ones that are better in terms of being closer to the real thing??? or are the AMCAS ones still the best to go with???

6. jamesrick80

Pre-Medical
    AAMC practice test are still the best. Make sure you use your reasoning skills when it comes to bio; alot of the answers can be found through the passage if you reason well.

7. cure0008

well. it is really hard to choose from the AAMC tests but AAMC #8 is a must. I think that is the one that most resembles the real mcat.

8. cure0008

i think...

tests to buy for sure- all of AAMC, book- 101 passages for verbal

Mabye- kaplan test, princeton tests, book-16 short mcat tests- from examkrackers

Mabye (with a hint of doubt)- gold standard mcat tests

If you have much money to spend that you don't know what to do with-examkrackers tests

Never take it, it will trow you off- book- kaplan practice test A-D

9. herewego

AAMC 3 seemed much easier for me...i've gone up from 3-7. I wish I knew that the earlier ones weren't as recent..wouldn't have wasted my time with the first couple.

10. herewego

Are the Practice Tests as hard as the real MCAT?

"They are real MCATs! The items comprising these tests were pulled from the same item pool that is used to create the current MCAT. Additionally, they have been updated to reflect the content and format changes new for 2003. Any perceived differences in difficulty between these MCAT Practice Tests reflects normally occurring variations in test forms across administrations. Like "live" administrations, these differences are statistically accounted for in the scoring."

TAKE DIRECTLY FROM http://www.aamc.org/students/mcat/ptfaqs.htm

whether or not this is actually true..iono

11. SN2ed

Moderator Emeritus

Resident [Any Field]
    To me there's a difference between harder and better to get AAMC FLs. Any given FL might be harder for you then another because it has more content you're weak on. I'm guessing you want the test that's the best representation of the real deal. In that case, go with the more recent tests. If you're strapped for cash, get 10 first, then 9, then 8, etc. I'd still say they will probably give you the best representation. Furthermore, some of the older tests were written before the CBT format and are cut-&-paste jobs.

In the cases where someone says their test was harder than the practice tests, make sure they actually have their MCAT scores. Often times, in the purgatory of the MCAT process when they don't know their score, they say the test was insanely hard compared to the practice tests. Then, with score in hand, they say, "oh, I guess it wasn't that bad after all."

In my opinion (then again, all of this is my opinion). The AAMC FLs were the closest in terms of format and VR, but the PS and BS was slightly tougher than some of the stuff on the AAMCs. Moreso BS than PS. Another set of FLs that might be good to check out are the Kaplan 1-5, maybe 6. They were a little closer for the sciences, but significantly different for VR. Remember, you could always mix up AAMC and Kaplan FLs.

Edit: True, they are real MCATs. Real MCATs that are also several years old.