Are all PharmD students considered "independent" in terms of FAFSA?

endlesslove

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 19, 2004
USA
Status
my pre-pharm friend and i are filling out our fafsa and we want to make sure we're doing it correctly--it said because we answered yes to at least 1 of the questions in the "student status" section (yes to will be working on a doctorate program in 2005-2006), we are now considered "independent"....even tho our parents still claim us on their taxes...is everybody in the pharmd program considered independent??

in undergrad, i was always a dependent. what does this mean to me in terms of how much financial aid i'll be getting? no more EFCs (expected family contribution)? the friend said that the pharm schools MAY POSSIBLY use the EFC to determine if you get a scholarship/grant or not.

Trancelucent1

Gator Girl :)
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 26, 2004
Orlando, FL
Visit site
Status
Pharmacist
You are considered independent if you are 25 years of age OR you have a bachelors and are in school working towards your post-baccalaureate degree. I am still too young but since I have my bachelors I am considered independent. UF told us that after your first year of professional school regardless of whether you have your bachelors or not your are considered independent. Bbmuffin you might want to look into this! Good luck

Glycerin

Commercially Unavailable
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 18, 2004
Squint your eyes and look closer.
Status
Pharmacist
Trancelucent1 said:
You are considered independent if you are 25 years of age
It's actually 24. ;)

OP
endlesslove

endlesslove

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 19, 2004
USA
Status
Trancelucent1 said:
You are considered independent if you are 25 years of age OR you have a bachelors and are in school working towards your post-baccalaureate degree. I am still too young but since I have my bachelors I am considered independent. UF told us that after your first year of professional school regardless of whether you have your bachelors or not your are considered independent. Bbmuffin you might want to look into this! Good luck
so what does this mean in terms of the type of financial aid (scholarship/loans/grants)??

dgroulx

Night Pharmacist
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 10, 2003
Woodinville, Washington
Status
Pharmacist
endlesslove said:
so what does this mean in terms of the type of financial aid (scholarship/loans/grants)??
It means you are better off, because they will not look at your parent's income. Everyone can get the maximum financial aid, but if your income is low your loans will be subsidized so you don't accumulate interest while you are in school.

vafcarrot

the peon
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 23, 2004
Kentucky
Status
You are also independent if you're married.

bananaface

Pharmacy Supernerd
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Apr 24, 2004
gone to seed
Status
Pharmacist
It depends on the school too. Some schools mark certain years of the degree as "undergraduate" whereas others consider it to be entirely graduate work. The type of tuition you are paying should give you some idea which category you fall into. But, it is probably best to contact your school's financial aid office if you are unsure. One of my classmates selected the wrong option last year and had to resubmit her FAFSA, resulting in a delay in aid.

tanyas

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 3, 2003
Los Angeles
Visit site
Status
endlesslove said:
Now, don't quote me on this....call Alyson or Jesse in financial aid instead.....i am at USC too, and had the same question last year. In order to be eligible for certain need-base scholarships, you have to fill out the parent section on fafsa and you have to mail USC the parent information form. If you dont want to be eligible for those scholarships, all you have to fill out is your portion on fafsa. Lesson: last year, I filled out both mine and parents, but i didnt get any scholarships anyways. The amount of loans you will get will depend only on your FAFSA part, plus I think everyone gets the same amount anyways, it's just depending on what your budget is.