are america's med schools the best in the world?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Originally posted by gsx56
UC Berkeley #4 in the world. What a joke.

It definitely isn't ranked #4 for its girls.:laugh: :laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

Amazing...I cant believe this thread...I think there's a lot of pesumption going on here:

Sorry, I couldn't help responding to a couple of the comments here. People come to the US for the most dangerous procedures for a lot of reasons: Money talks. So long as you have raised all the money you need, you can kangaroo over everyone else and get your treamtent. Siamese twin separations and pediatric cardiac procedures are also regularly carried out in Isreal, Russia, China, Korea, South Africa, etc. But it is harder to get those procedures done elsewhere in the world compared the US, just because of the sheer volume of practitioners here. Why do doctors from all over the world ocme to the US? Please, it's not because they health system is good. It's because the pay is phenomenally, exponentially better than in most other places in the world. And you have control over hwat you do with your life. Only the very elite with the best hook-ups have that kind of latitude in other countries.

So question is where will you find medical training that compares with in the Harvards and Hopkins of the US? Australia (Ben Carson specialized in neurosurgery there). Sweden - Karolinska (they award the Nobel prizes in Physiology and Medicine).

Then generally Britain...London School (in addition to having the best tropical health in the world, they produce world class physicians); Imperial College London (in order to get in - after A-levels, you have to be in about the top 10% bracket of A-level takers: note - A-levels are harder than the MCATs, and you take them when you're about 18, and yes, the training is just as phenomenal); I would mention Oxford and Cambridge, but that's like mentioning the the sky is Blue....as an aside, training in the best five British schools would rival that at the top US five immensely. basically, graduating from those schools, you could almost do without residency. Only problem is the f**king British rigidity, which places going through rote motions way above common sense and practicality.

Dont know too much about the seven dragons and the imperials, but they have got to be smoking good...Just their general education is...

Summary:
You will find training as good as in the US in many countries...Scratch that...A lot of countries have better training than the US does...

BUT
when it comes to preparation for BOTH research and practice, that's where the difference starts to show...A greater percentage of US physicians are made ready for research through their training than elsewhere...I think except Japan...and maybe China.
:)

Originally posted by NonTradMed
I'm not sure how having a pool of applicants who volunteered and played the violin made the US the "best" in terms of medical education. It might make the average US medical student more well rounded, but most college students' experience in health care consists of candy stripping, and perhaps work in the lab. Things that in the long run, I am not sure gives the US medical students a statistical advantage over their foreign counterpart in their medical abilities. ....I guess I don't see how requiring students to be more well rounded (a subjective term at that)makes the US medical education system "the best".

I'm kind of doubting this....it could just be my school........but I have never seen a person with high GPA and excellent MCAT score from my school NOT get accepted into medical school, and with multiple offers. By good, I mean above a 3.7 in a science/engineering major and corresponding MCAT scores (about 33+). So at least in my school, the book nerds DO have an advantage over us mere mortals. ;)

med schools want to know why we want to be doctors and to see if we have the social capacity along with the smarts to be able to handle medicine.

i dont agree with the way the some asian countries work in their admissions. no interviews no nothing. you score well then you become a doctor. i know im qualified to be a doctor and feel i would do an excellent job at taking care of patients but in asia i know that regardless of this i might not have been able to pursue medicine because maybe i was a couple points shy of the cutoff to be a medicine major.

oh and about your doubts...maybe it is just your school...
ive met them on my interview trail...reapplicants who have 3.9+ and 35+ who just dont seem to have the social capacity to become a doctor. met others who have applied before me and failed even with excellent numbers who went on to pursue other interests after their failed attempt.

one case in specific...and its not like i wasnt the only person who wasnt a fan. even the medical students themselves were about to say something to the admissions office of how they wouldnt want this applicant as a potential classmate at their med school.

Originally posted by Buster Douglas
I read somewhere that getting into medical school in Japan is near impossible. Not only do you have to score literally perfect on the entrance exams, you've score at least in the 'high genius' range of an IQ test. Considering how Japan's got their capitalism runnin (way more efficiently than the US), I wouldn't be surprised if they've got us beat in medicine.

Whoa Nelly. I don't know where you're getting your news but Japanese business is substantially less efficient then their American competitors. Currently, Japan is going through the same painful restructuring of their economy experienced by the United States back in the early eighties when our corporations were fat and bloated and being out-competed by Japan.

Now the tables have turned, and Japan is finding it hard to compete with China, Malaysia, and the other up-and-coming pacific Rim economies. (not to mention the United States)