Are antidepressants a kiss of death for HPSP applicants?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fox800

Go to the ER now to see if you have coronavirus.
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Deleted

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
These days, probably no waiver (too many applicants). Can ask the question, but I would not get my hopes up.

Members don't see this ad :)
It is unlikely they will give you a waiver for current use. Maybe a few years ago when applicants were way down it would have been a slight possibility. Most commissioning waivers will require at least one year off of medications and proof showing stability/continued academic excellence off of meds.

Can't hurt to apply though. All it will do if you get turned down is cost a few hours of your time.

You will not get a waiver for depression meds. The military's thinking - at some point you'll need to go someplace where your access to meds will be cut off. They can't risk you being functionally out of commission in that situation.

Additionally, it may make it difficult/impossible to get a security clearance, should you need one.

Your recruiter may pressure you to "leave it out" of your MEPS physical. If I understand it, since you are taking the meds daily and seem to need it, not having them is not really an option. If you came in to the service, having lied about it, and then it comes out that this is a prior condition - your goose is cooked. (Can be changed under UCMJ, or military law). So don't lie.

There are some situations where I can understand (and even advise) people to leave items out of their physical - i.e. you broke your arm at age 6 and it healed without complications. It is irrelevant, will in no way shape or form impact your service, and will only be a speedbump in the paperwork. It sounds like your condition does not fall in that category, however. I'd look into other options - sorry to bust your bubble.

I was a Navy psychiatrist. There are some conditions that are absolute disqualifiers like bipolar I disorder, schizophrenia, untreated substance dependence and recurrent suicide attempts. Depression and anxiety are possibly in a grey area. If someone had recurrent severe episodes of either that would be a disqualifier but if they had symptoms that were well controlled and responsive to treatment you could argue a case. Currently the DoD has a policy that service members must demonstrate a 90 day pattern of stability on a psychotropic medication before being cleared to deploy.

Why did you delete your messages?