Are any dual-degree OMFS worried about ACGME requirement changes in your state?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

charcot bouchard

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I recently heard about a few states changing the number of ACGME credits required to be a licensed physician. Not huge changes, but any change matters (usually going from 1-2 or 2-3). This worries me as I am about to apply for OMFS residency and would hate to take the opportunity cost of 2 years to get a dual degree only to not be able to be a licensed MD in a state in the future.

So my question is really a few separate questions:

1. Does anyone know where I can find the ACGME credit requirements by state? My first few internet searches have yielded no results.
2. Are current OMFS residents/practitioners concerned about these changes? Or do you feel few states will change over the next 20 years? Do you feel your state's OMFS would put up any fight against these changes if they happened in your state?
3. It is also difficult to find how many ACGME credits many residency programs offer. A few advertise that information on their websites but many don't. Any info you can provide about different programs would be very helpful!

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
California recently increased the ACGME requirement to 3 years before licensure eligibility. OMFS was given an exception to this rule because our OMFS training counted although they are technically not "ACGME accredited" years. Not sure how it will play out in other states but I assume that OMFS will most likely be an exception to the rule? I've seen OMFS petition the state medical board and get licensed in the past as well.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I am not aware of any omfs who wanted a medical license and could not get one. I don’t know everyone though so could be done out there. Many residents have gone to states, including myself, that require more years of acgme training than their respective omfs residency provided and all of us got our medical license.
i do think AAOMS should take a more proactive stance on this however and make sure all states very clearly have a path to licensure for omfs.
in the worst case scenario, you can always appeal to the board for exception and licensing.

Reactions: 3 users
Yes. It shouldn’t be a problem. Just requiring a lot of more work...including letters, signatures from the right people. just a pain but not impossible

Reactions: 1 user
2nd hand knowledge but it seems like the above is correct, still possible in every state, but significantly more painful for some.