Are any of these aspects of surgical profession true or false?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
With me driving the boat and you pouring the drinks!
Just got back from a starlit ride home from the brewery. We would be unstoppable

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Girl power! Boy howdy!!
haha it's so funny to see the reaction of folks when they see a girl driving a boat solo or with a couple other girls on board. Literal jaw drops. Which is hilarious because it's the most simple thing to do, literally one switch and one throttle with a few dials to watch. NOT THAT HARD.

Reactions: 4 users
/
That does sound terrible....I'm sorry.
Thanks.

We've had a lot of rain and I live near a wash.

Everything was fine until I walked into the fancy formal LR and found a "dorsal fin" of hardwood. There is also water in the garage - not much but if its not cleared up, mold city. Homeowners insurance will cover it but a hassle especially given the upcoming holidays; I'd rather not live in a. construction zone.

haha it's so funny to see the reaction of folks when they see a girl driving a boat solo or with a couple other girls on board. Literal jaw drops. Which is hilarious because it's the most simple thing to do, literally one switch and one throttle with a few dials to watch. NOT THAT HARD.
Girlz not supposed to intrude on mens things.

Like me in Ace Hardware today...I kept getting stopped every few minutes to see if I needed help. I'm like, "nope I can get what I need (wet vac, tarps, sand bags) myself, thanks!"

Reactions: 1 users
/

Thanks.

We've had a lot of rain and I live near a wash.

Everything was fine until I walked into the fancy formal LR and found a "dorsal fin" of hardwood. There is also water in the garage - not much but if its not cleared up, mold city. Homeowners insurance will cover it but a hassle especially given the upcoming holidays; I'd rather not live in a. construction zone.
Oh yeah, moisture is no bueno and I would have a heart attack about the floors

Oh yeah, moisture is no bueno and I would have a heart attack about the floors
Yeah, I'm really bummed about the floors.

They are sure they can match them because each plank is different, so doesn't have to be perfect but I'm sad since its original mid century.

My greatest fear is grimy hands on the white couches. So I will arrange to cover and move them myself.

Girlz not supposed to intrude on mens things.

Like me in Ace Hardware today...I kept getting stopped every few minutes to see if I needed help. I'm like, "nope I can get what I need (wet vac, tarps, sand bags) myself, thanks!"
HAHA exactly!!!! Gotta love the Home Depot routine.

A nice man at the marina asked me if I was planning on taking my boat out "all by your sweet little self?" I smiled and said "It's really not that hard"

I live on a very well marked river, it's not like I'm out there braving the Bering Sea

Reactions: 1 user

Seems like a perfect time to invoke Ron Swanson:

hi-there-is-there-a-proj-i-can-help-you-14027980.png

Reactions: 5 users
- Have an offer from (depending on year, metrics) world's best (or one of the best) university for medicine (with a view of ultimately training for surgery, esp neuro).
- Am 29, currently a financial engineer (use statistics and programming for investment).
- Currently looking at my pros and cons list; would appreciate comments on how true (false) some of my assumption are.

(1) Surgery training and practice has more freedom and independence (no micromanagement) compared to engineering: even during training years considerable autonomy: independent interactions with patients, ability to pursue uninterrupted minor operations (say removal of artheroma or just plain suturing). No project manager, you (service provider) in direct contact with customer. Do have mentors when learning the ropes. Surgical nurses generally follow your lead.
(2) Extremely robust employment available in any geographic location. Whereas neuro-surgery is limited to large urban centers, there is demand for more basic surgical skill even in rural communities. Any financial engineering positions are few, competitive and mostly limited to about four global cities.
(3) All of the professionals you deal with frequently in your environment have above average intelligence.
(4) You can be a highly successful surgeon being in the top 10% of IQ, in contrast to financial engineering where only top 1% make it big.
(5) Studiousness is proportional to success.
(6) Little creative problem solving in surgery; a lot more procedural (i.e. can be fairly dull).
(7) In contrast to engineering profession a large proportion of females (starting 50% at school and gradually dropping at specialty and seniority levels), which creates a more catty, left-leaning environment. Brevity, openness, directness and logic may not always be valued.
(8) Knowledge sharing and academic publications highly encouraged. In contrast to trade secrets found in engineering.
(9) Age factor. Late arrivals to the field may experience difficulty via competition from younger traditional-entry colleagues. Patients may also look them down during training.
(10) As a profession more intra-competitive and political than engineering (which tends to be collegiate within the same firm).

I won't judge you on what you say. I will just answer your q.

I think the biggest factors for you will be, age and your specialty of interest.
1. there is a lot of freedom as staff, but as a trainee (which is going to be until you are in your early 40s), there is a crippling lack of freedom. Surgery is similar to the military, you do as you are told, if you don't listen, your career will fade.
2. Yes, if you want to live rurally, medicine is fantastic. If you don't, medicine is actually worse, urban areas pay less and are more competitive
3. Sure, but would say the same with financial engineering as well. If your definition of above avg IQ is different from mine then maybe you won't find it that way
4. You can be in the top 10%, but you would need to actually get into neurosurgery which means you probably will be smarter. Also, how good are your hands? All thumbs and you are out and unfortunately its hard to know until you are a resident.
5. Yes. People go very studious though. How hard do you work at your current job? Are you prepared to work 80-100 hour weeks from 31 to about 40? Can your body handle it physically even?
6. questionable. It can get dull and routine, but if you feel that way surgery may not be for you.
7. In medical school, there is more of a social justice bend, this disappears as soon as you enter surgery.
8. yes. publish or perish.
9. this 1000%. training is long, very long, younger people handle this way better than older people. I won't say don't do medicine, but I will say you have to be open to not doing surgery in order to do medicine.
10. Don't know engineering, but medicine can be very competitive and very political.

I won't judge you on what you say. I will just answer your q.

I think the biggest factors for you will be, age and your specialty of interest.
1. there is a lot of freedom as staff, but as a trainee (which is going to be until you are in your early 40s), there is a crippling lack of freedom. Surgery is similar to the military, you do as you are told, if you don't listen, your career will fade.
2. Yes, if you want to live rurally, medicine is fantastic. If you don't, medicine is actually worse, urban areas pay less and are more competitive
3. Sure, but would say the same with financial engineering as well. If your definition of above avg IQ is different from mine then maybe you won't find it that way
4. You can be in the top 10%, but you would need to actually get into neurosurgery which means you probably will be smarter. Also, how good are your hands? All thumbs and you are out and unfortunately its hard to know until you are a resident.
5. Yes. People go very studious though. How hard do you work at your current job? Are you prepared to work 80-100 hour weeks from 31 to about 40? Can your body handle it physically even?
6. questionable. It can get dull and routine, but if you feel that way surgery may not be for you.
7. In medical school, there is more of a social justice bend, this disappears as soon as you enter surgery.
8. yes. publish or perish.
9. this 1000%. training is long, very long, younger people handle this way better than older people. I won't say don't do medicine, but I will say you have to be open to not doing surgery in order to do medicine.
10. Don't know engineering, but medicine can be very competitive and very political.
Agreed.

29 years it becoming borderline too late to consider entering medical school and pursuing surgery, you see just like military we need fresh bodies and pliable minds.