Are any of you acceptees as nervous as I am??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

diidy

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Now that we're in and just anticipating the start of our new medical profession and our new lives, are any of you as nervous as I am? Dont get me wrong, I am super hyped and excited to get started, but the curriculum is going to be so different from what I was used to in undergrad and as of right now sice I havent experienced the rigors of medical school it makes me kind of nervous as to what's going to happen in the next few years. I really wonder what the first semester is going to be like. I'm nervous but excited. Just thought I'd let my anxiety out. Any other 2011-ers feeling the same?

Members don't see this ad.

Not at all. Discussion closed.

Just playing, I'll be nervous when it actually starts. Right now it seems too distant.

Iam not nervous in that sense. But iam very very pissed off for this long waitin time. I was accepted in October. So for it has been such a long wait. Cant wait for August when i will keep my foot in Scholl as a student.:cool:

And iam nervous because of my heavy indian accent which might hinder my communication with fellow classmates for soemtime. Once they get used to me then its no big deal. but initally i guess it will be a disadvantage for me. And also abt my age. Seeing this forum where most of them are above 24 and have either long work experiences or post graduate or research stuff. i will be just entering 21 yrs with not tat much exposure to the big bad world. So i dont know, if i will be able to find any friends of my age group.

Members don't see this ad :)
Now that we're in and just anticipating the start of our new medical profession and our new lives, are any of you as nervous as I am? Dont get me wrong, I am super hyped and excited to get started, but the curriculum is going to be so different from what I was used to in undergrad and as of right now sice I havent experienced the rigors of medical school it makes me kind of nervous as to what's going to happen in the next few years. I really wonder what the first semester is going to be like. I'm nervous but excited. Just thought I'd let my anxiety out. Any other 2011-ers feeling the same?

I am not anxious for the school part. I feel that my undergrad prep was second to none and I will be ready academically. Also, I have always worked full time while going to school full time, so having just school will be a relief. The only thing I am anxious about is moving out of state. I have a wife and (soon to be) 2 children, so taking them away from friends and family causes a little anxiety :eek: But all will be well :laugh:

And iam nervous because of my heavy indian accent which might hinder my communication with fellow classmates for soemtime. Once they get used to me then its no big deal. but initally i guess it will be a disadvantage for me. And also abt my age. Seeing this forum where most of them are above 24 and have either long work experiences or post graduate or research stuff. i will be just entering 21 yrs with not tat much exposure to the big bad world. So i dont know, if i will be able to find any friends of my age group.

Dont worry. Age is nothing but a number. And 21 vs 24 is only a couple of years, Im sure no one would even notice unless you told them. About having a heavy Indian accent, I wouldnt worry too much about that either. You sound like a really approachable person and as long as you show your fellow classmates how nice you are and how willing you are to make new friends, I don't think anything else will matter. In undergrad I had tons of Indian friends but thats besides the point :luck:

... i dont know, if i will be able to find any friends of my age group.
I don't think this should be a main worry. The vast majority of your fellow students will be mature regardless of age, so age doesn't play a major factor. Everyone entering the grad program is new to the city, environment, etc. You might have a few people who are Chicago natives or who went to undergrad there, but the majority will be in exactly your same situation of knowing almost nobody at first. Orientation will calm your fears a lot, and there will be some pod social activities to attend.

You will always be able to find like-minded individuals in a medical program who take the education very seriously and will study with you. On the other hand, you can certainly always find other guys who want to go out to the clubs to chase girls around 3 nights per week and don't really study much until a couple days before the exams. The vast majority of people will fall somewhere in the middle. Still, see which of your classmates will last awhile and end up with scholarships and good residencies later on; it'll start to become apparent even when you are only a couple months into the program.

I'm not saying you certainly can't find a balance of work and play (and that's important to avoid burnout), but it might be best to err on the side of caution early on. Pod first semester is generally not as hard as the next couple that will follow, but it's a great opportunity to get your GPA high and develop good study/organization habits.

...GL to all the new pod students starting this fall :clap:

I'll only be 22 - I'll be your friend :) I'm excited and nervous about starting at Scholl's!

I'll only be 22 - I'll be your friend :) I'm excited and nervous about starting at Scholl's!

I will be looking out for you. Remember i will be the indian guy calling everyone "boss!". lol!

Iam not nervous in that sense. But iam very very pissed off for this long waitin time. I was accepted in October. So for it has been such a long wait. Cant wait for August when i will keep my foot in Scholl as a student.:cool:

I don't think you should worry about your accent. I've grown up in this area and had Indian, Persian, Pakistani, etc. friends. I would think that most have and as another poster said, you seem to be approachable. And with a class size of 100 there will be lots of cliques anyway. I would also expect most people to be close to your age. I am a decade older than you and will definitely have a much smaller peer group :) No worries. We'll be so busy that social life will be secondary anyway.

I should go to Scholl so that you can teach me how to make Indian food cool_vkb. I LOVE Indian food, I have spent many hours to make it, but my efforts are always fruitless.

I should go to Scholl so that you can teach me how to make Indian food cool_vkb. I LOVE Indian food, I have spent many hours to make it, but my efforts are always fruitless.

No problem! I can teach you to cook some really spicy indian food during weekends.My friends in Milwaukee consider me a good cook. I hope i can maintain that reputation in scholl:).

But apart from my cooking, Scholl is a 30 min drive from Devon Ave. The famous half indian-half jewish (well now mostly Indian) street. You can get authentic home cooked indian and middleeastern foods there.

Members don't see this ad :)
Count me in on the cooking lessons! I LOVE Indian food. I get carry out at least once a week. There are two restaurants in Gurnee (within 5-10 mins of school) and another in Round Lake Beach...Vernon Hills too. There are also a couple Indian Grocery Stores close by.

Everyone can bring a dish, then we can sit around and study while we eat good food.

Count me in on the cooking lessons! I LOVE Indian food. I get carry out at least once a week. There are two restaurants in Gurnee (within 5-10 mins of school) and another in Round Lake Beach...Vernon Hills too. There are also a couple Indian Grocery Stores close by.

Everyone can bring a dish, then we can sit around and study while we eat good food.

Wow! Thats great that we have a restaurant so close. I know iam moving out of topic but what is your general opinion on Spring Grove Suburb (the one near Fox Lake). How is the place in terms of people, safety,etc. I'am moving there from April.

Wow! Thats great that we have a restaurant so close. I know iam moving out of topic but what is your general opinion on Spring Grove Suburb (the one near Fox Lake). How is the place in terms of people, safety,etc. I'am moving there from April.

Spring Grove is a really great suburb. It's 100% safe...you might find a horse in your backyard or something along those lines as far as an aggravation. I have a few friends who live out there mainly because on occasion you can still get a small house with an acre or two for under 500K and because the public school system is decent. The down side is that it isn't very diverse at all. It's pretty wonderbread. Where as, in my daughter's class in Grayslake, caucasion kids make up about 40% (estimating-and this isn't the case for all Grayslake grade schools). In Fox Lake there is a decent sized hispanic population though.

Are you planning on living there during school? It will be a bit of a commute to Scholl. With zero traffic and speeding the entire way, it will take no less than 30 minutes...and the likely hood of that is slim! Morning rush is usually between 6am and 9am. Evening rush starts at 3:45 (3 on Fri) and lasts til 6 or 6:30. The first two miles out of Grayslake can take me 20 to 30 minutes, if I leave during those times and Spring Grove is a good 20 mins (no traffic) northwest of me (I'm northwest of the school-mainly west). You might want to think about the commute, if you were intending on living there during school...OH, and you would be SO SO far from externships in the city because you are that much farther from the tollway.

But, if you are just hangin' out in Spring Grove for the summer, it is a nice place. If you like to bike and hike, there is a really great forest preserve nearby.

Spring Grove is a really great suburb. It's 100% safe...you might find a horse in your backyard or something along those lines as far as an aggravation. I have a few friends who live out there mainly because on occasion you can still get a small house with an acre or two for under 500K and because the public school system is decent. The down side is that it isn't very diverse at all. It's pretty wonderbread. Where as, in my daughter's class in Grayslake, caucasion kids make up about 40% (estimating-and this isn't the case for all Grayslake grade schools). In Fox Lake there is a decent sized hispanic population though.

Are you planning on living there during school? It will be a bit of a commute to Scholl. With zero traffic and speeding the entire way, it will take no less than 30 minutes...and the likely hood of that is slim! Morning rush is usually between 6am and 9am. Evening rush starts at 3:45 (3 on Fri) and lasts til 6 or 6:30. The first two miles out of Grayslake can take me 20 to 30 minutes, if I leave during those times and Spring Grove is a good 20 mins (no traffic) northwest of me (I'm northwest of the school-mainly west). You might want to think about the commute, if you were intending on living there during school...OH, and you would be SO SO far from externships in the city because you are that much farther from the tollway.

But, if you are just hangin' out in Spring Grove for the summer, it is a nice place. If you like to bike and hike, there is a really great forest preserve nearby.

Yes,i have to stay there for good (probably for entire school). My family has a condition placed on me. Unless i stay with them, i am not gonna get any kind of financial help.lol!. Now i have no other choice:) .My family is moving there from Schaumburg. My dad said the exact words you are saying about the beauty of the area and lakes. but i personally havent seen it yet so i was really unsure. I'am in Milwaukee.I really have to think about that commute now.But thanks for the info, it helps a lot. God Bless you!

Yes,i have to stay there for good (probably for entire school). My family has a condition placed on me. Unless i stay with them, i am not gonna get any kind of financial help.lol!. Now i have no other choice:) .My family is moving there from Schaumburg. My dad said the exact words you are saying about the beauty of the area and lakes. but i personally havent seen it yet so i was really unsure. I'am in Milwaukee.I really have to think about that commute now.But thanks for the info, it helps a lot. God Bless you!

It will be nice to have your parents' support and the commute could be worse, right? Just plan on getting to school early...that's my plan too. And if the schedule stays similar to this year's, on most days you will be able to leave school before the nasty rush starts. And there is always carpooling:)

Milwaukee is a great town, huh? We tend to go that way to do things rather than fight with the traffic to get to Chicago, since Chicago and Milwaukee are about equidistant.

Milwaukee is a great town, huh? We tend to go that way to do things rather than fight with the traffic to get to Chicago, since Chicago and Milwaukee are about equidistant.

Thats true! Milwaukee is very decent in terms of traffic, Plus NO TOLLWAYS. very student friendly:D . I had no idea chicago had this much traffic. my first brush with real chicago's traffic came when i was coming for interview at Scholl at 8:30am from Schaumburg. I was suprised to see cars moving on a highway at a speed of 10mph.:eek: at that time.

I say just relax and enjoy your last quarter/semester of undergrad before the real fun begins :D

Hey - I'm in too! I've never had Indian food before, but I've always wanted to try it!

Hey - I'm in too! I've never had Indian food before, but I've always wanted to try it!

Are you serious! wow! every body should try indian food and watch an indian movie (boy and gal dancing around a tree in middle of the movie:laugh: ) once in their life. lol! It will be my foremost duty to get you an authentic indian lunch as soon as class starts.:)

I say just relax and enjoy your last quarter/semester of undergrad before the real fun begins :D

Thanks for the kind words Cheetos. Its a nervous excitement, nothing bad, just positive nerves and anxiousness to begin this journey. And unfortunately I wont have undergrad to keep me busy in the meantime since I've been about a year out of school now. I guess lab work will have to do. :)

Are you serious! wow! every body should try indian food and watch an indian movie (boy and gal dancing around a tree in middle of the movie:laugh: ) once in their life. lol! It will be my foremost duty to get you an authentic indian lunch as soon as class starts.:)

:laugh: Man are your right about the movies! My fav little halal joint in slc usually has a bollywood movie piped in, and they are pretty entertaining. We will definetly have to meet sometime cool :D

:laugh: Man are your right about the movies! My fav little halal joint in slc usually has a bollywood movie piped in, and they are pretty entertaining. We will definetly have to meet sometime cool :D

i heard there are inter-school conferences, meetings, games,events etc. So we will have good chance of meeting. or else when ever iam in AZ. i will send you a PM. and if you are in Chicago town then you send me a PM:thumbup: