Are any of you physical science majors in college?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doctor G

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are any of you guys physical science majors in college? These include physics, chemistry, and mathematics. It seems like not a lot of people who are applying for medical schools have majors from these disciplines.

As a physical science major myself (chemistry), we learned a lot of things which are really interesting, yet at the same time, not so much medical school related. The only subject I can think of that's more medicine related would be biochemistry. I've only taken 3 biology classes in college as college requirements. Am I on a more disadvantageous side compared to those who were bio majors when starting to study medicine?

Members don't see this ad.

Doctor G said:
Are any of you guys physical science majors in college? These include physics, chemistry, and mathematics. It seems like not a lot of people who are applying for medical schools have majors from these disciplines.

As a physical science major myself (chemistry), we learned a lot of things which are really interesting, yet at the same time, not so much medical school related. The only subject I can think of that's more medicine related would be biochemistry. I've only taken 3 biology classes in college as college requirements. Am I on a more disadvantageous side compared to those who were bio majors when starting to study medicine?

heyyyy... i was a chem major with a biochem concentration. i never even thought that maybe it was an advantage, because it's not as popular of a major as biology. perhaps it helped, but no one can say for certain. call the admissions office at your school of choice and ask them. hopefully they'll give you a frank answer.

jv

I have a concentration in Physics w/ minors in CS, EE, and Philosopy....Nope......Check out http://www.aacom.org/ they have some inventories noting percetage of acceptances via majors. Also, I was told a few yrs ago med schools do like chem folks a bit more then bio...that was from an allo admin person...

Members don't see this ad :)
david.pcsom said:
Also, I was told a few yrs ago med schools do like chem folks a bit more then bio...that was from an allo admin person...

Wow... is that true? I think it's only for that particular school... can't make that a general statement.

Proud to be a chemist!

I majored in biophysics with a minor in math. It was better for me because I'm stronger in the physical sciences and think my GPA is better than it would have been if I did straight Bio and because I enjoyed my classes. I think it is advantageous because it beats being the "dime-a-dozen" bio/pre-med, no offense to any of you who were bio majors. It gives you something different to talk about in your interviews, too. At all of my interviews they asked about my major and why I chose it.

Doctor G said:
Wow... is that true? I think it's only for that particular school... can't make that a general statement.

Proud to be a chemist!
Yea, oddly the admin person I spoke with indicated they were looking for more analytical folks who brought in info from diversified backgrounds. This person indicated the student would be immersed in medical sciences so why would they want folks with an extensive medical science or bio background. Once in med school they would be given what they needed, and their previous knowledge would take the basic med info to a diff place...Thats how this person at this one school explained their positoin...

Yea, back in '87 I think the second most popular major matriculating to med school was physics....

As an admin person at WSU mentioned to me off record that med school acceptance, after the numbers game, is up to the mood of the person who holds your app. The sheer volume of folks applying for seats per year is plain silly, so its up to the Will of God in the end....