Are any UCLA students here applying to UCSF?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mangler

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm filling out the supplemental application right now and the prerequisites for admission require 12 units of inorganic chemistry + lab. At UCLA, they only offer a maximum of 11 possible units you can take in this category. Anyone know if this will automatically cause your application to be rejected?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm pretty sure UCSF is very familiar with UCLA's undergrad curriculum/course offerings. Lots of UCLA students have gotten in in the past having taken those very courses so it's safe to say that it won't be an automatic rejection.

I have a friend from UCLA undergrad who got in last cycle. It won't be an issue.

Members don't see this ad :)
yeah don't stress out over little things like that. I did last cycle because UCLA being on the quarter system made some stuff confusing, but it'll be fine. Schools know UCLA's curriculum. If you fulfilled the requirements for your major and took the prereqs available to you, it'll all work out.

I presume that UCSF and UCLA are in the same Regents of University of California system, almost all their classes are compatible so no need to sweat. Additionally, many UC's other than UC Merced and UC Berkeley are in a quarter system so the "semester units" may not be rounded accurately. No need to sweat it if you're 1 unit short. If you're missing an actual 3-4 unit class then yes, you need to worry and/or take that missing class.

I'm filling out the supplemental application right now and the prerequisites for admission require 12 units of inorganic chemistry + lab. At UCLA, they only offer a maximum of 11 possible units you can take in this category. Anyone know if this will automatically cause your application to be rejected?

Just graduated from UCLA this spring, took the 14 series which only adds up to 11 units. Called the admissions office at UCSF two weeks ago and the lady said it's not a problem as they're familiar with the curriculum, so you're good to go.

Just graduated from UCLA this spring, took the 14 series which only adds up to 11 units. Called the admissions office two weeks ago and the lady said they're familiar with the curriculum, you're good to go.
ahhhh the infamous 14 series.... :barf:I took the 20/30 series because it was required for my major :cool:

ahhhh the infamous 14 series.... :barf:I took the 20/30 series because it was required for my major :cool:

That sounds rough...I've never seen the 20/30 material but pretty sure the popular opinion was that 20/30 was more brutal by far. At least you survived the series! :)

Just graduated from UCLA this spring, took the 14 series which only adds up to 11 units. Called the admissions office at UCSF two weeks ago and the lady said it's not a problem as they're familiar with the curriculum, so you're good to go.
Phew that's great news. Thanks everyone!