Sep 25, 2013
Status
Pre-Medical
I take 100mg-200mg caffiene pills almost everyday before I start studying... I was wondering if this will have any effects on my health.

I do exercise at night, so I don't have any problem falling asleep. other than that, is there anything that I should be concerned about?

Nov 21, 2012
Status
That's like a cup of coffee, man. You're fine.

But why would anyone want to take caffeine pills when there are so many delicious caffeinated beverages to choose from that are actually good for you?

Reactions: AnRan

1TB4RKSB4CK

wussup doge
5+ Year Member
May 6, 2010
Miami
Status
Pre-Medical
I prefer pills because drinking coffee increases my urine output by a ton lol and I hate having to get up every 15 mins to use the bathroom

OP
J
Sep 25, 2013
Status
Pre-Medical
I prefer pills because drinking coffee increases my urine output by a ton lol and I hate having to get up every 15 mins to use the bathroom
I totally agree with you, then why would you laugh at my post you a-hole lol

the local lib beside my house sells expensive coffee... like $4 for a small coffee, and if I buy 2 cups a day, Ill have to spend over $200 a month on coffee

Dec 29, 2013

the local lib beside my house sells expensive coffee... like $4 for a small coffee, and if I buy 2 cups a day, Ill have to spend over $200 a month on coffee
:laugh:

Czarcasm

Hakuna matata, no worries.
5+ Year Member
Jun 22, 2013
Crypts of Lieberkühn
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)

I'm a caffeine addict. If you're not a picky coffee drinker, then just go to your local grocery store and grab folgers, some sugar, and half & half. Would save you a ton of money. If you're studying in a dorm and don't have a stove, they have this heating unit I bought from Walmart that boils water (within like 2 minutes), and it's affordable too, like under $15 bucks.

(BTW a good replacement for half and half is International Delight's Southern Butter Pecan... omg it's so good lol).

Nov 21, 2012
Status
I'm a caffeine addict. If you're not a picky coffee drinker, then just go to your local grocery store and grab folgers, some sugar, and half & half. Would save you a ton of money. If you're studying in a dorm and don't have a stove, they have this heating unit I bought from Walmart that boils water (within like 2 minutes), and it's affordable too, like under $15 bucks.

(BTW a good replacement for half and half is International Delight's Southern Butter Pecan... omg it's so good lol).
Ew.

OP
J
Sep 25, 2013
Status
Pre-Medical

thanks for the tips, but does it actually have caffiene? For some reason, the coffee I make at home doesn't give me the rush I need while studying

Czarcasm

Hakuna matata, no worries.
5+ Year Member
Jun 22, 2013
Crypts of Lieberkühn
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
thanks for the tips, but does it actually have caffiene? For some reason, the coffee I make at home doesn't give me the rush I need while studying
Yeah it does. I can't study without coffee (I noticed a major mood change without drinking and trying to study, lol).

I think with coffee though, you just gotta be careful not to overload it with sugar, otherwise be prepared to crash afterwards. If you're using creamer like I do, then you really don't need much sugar at all.

Nov 21, 2012
Status
Last edited:

mcloaf

7+ Year Member
Jan 21, 2012
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I hate Starbucks. You can spend $10/wk drinking some of the most delicious coffee money can by. Find a local shop that roasts their owns beans, and spend $50 on:

http://www.chemexcoffeemaker.com/
http://www.amazon.com/Hario-Ceramic-Coffee-Mill-Skerton/dp/B001802PIQ

It will change your life. Most people go through life without ever realizing what coffee is supposed to taste life.
This. TBH Folger's stretches the definition of coffee. If you buy locally roasted beans and grind them yourself, you'll never go back.

Jun 8, 2013
Status
Caffeine is caffeine, I don't think the liquid coffee increases bioavailability at all. What will be the difference is the time release. You are basically getting a bolus dose when you take the pills vs when you drink coffee. Generally a cup of coffee has 50migs in it while a full pill has 200. You'd be drinking 4 cups of coffee over probably an hour or two whereas you're taking all of that caffeine in 5 seconds as a pill. Worst comes to worst you get a little jittery and your sensitivity drops eventually.

That being said, I used caffeine pills throughout college. I didn't want to stain my teeth... Or at least that was my rationality.

Mar 15, 2013
CA
Status
Medical Student
I'm more of a sugar free rockstar man myself...Costco sells case of 24 for 3o bucks. Those bad boys will punch you in the mouth real quick.

Law2Doc

5K+ Member
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Dec 20, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
Actually caffeine is a diuretic regardless, and so you are better off taking the fluid intake of coffee with it rather than losing water from other places and risking dehydration. Caffeine can cause arrhythmias and cause GI issues. May impact metabolism as well, if weight gain is a concern, so many diets want you to avoid it. Like all drugs it has its side effects. In high doses it could even kill you. But it's a drug that has been in constant use for hundreds of years with relatively few casualties.

Mad Jack

Critically Caring
5+ Year Member
Jul 27, 2013
4th Dimension
1 Venti White Chocolate Mocha- 320 mg Caffeine, $6.25
1 Keurig K-Cup- 80-120 mg Caffeine, $0.75
1 Cup of Cheap Ass Gas Station Joe, 60-220 mg Caffeine $0.99
1 Monster Energy Drink, 160 mg Caffeine, $1.99
1 Rockstar Energy Drink, 240 mg Caffeine, $1.99

1 Caffeine Pill- 100 mg $0.05

That right there is why I used to use caffeine pills. Because I'm ****ing cheap and need my fix.

1TB4RKSB4CK

wussup doge
5+ Year Member
May 6, 2010
Miami
Status
Pre-Medical
Actually caffeine is a diuretic regardless, and so you are better off taking the fluid intake of coffee with it rather than losing water from other places and risking dehydration. Caffeine can cause arrhythmias and cause GI issues. May impact metabolism as well, if weight gain is a concern, so many diets want you to avoid it. Like all drugs it has its side effects. In high doses it could even kill you. But it's a drug that has been in constant use for hundreds of years with relatively few casualties.
I keep a bottle of water with me too haha
Thanks for the info doc!

Apr 20, 2013
Status
Pre-Medical
I really don't think it is wise to be taking any sort of energy/caffeine pills. The low dose you are taking probably isn't harmful- but you never know what type of side effect is may have.

I typically study with a bottle if water, mints, and maybe a light snack. This seems to keep me awake and alert throughout my study session.

Haha also I feel ya about having to pee but I find my bladder provides me with appropriate study breaks lol!!

Sep 7, 2013
somewhere down south
Status
Pre-Medical
On the topic of coffee, I know that caffeine is highly effective for short term memory. But has anyone heard anything about caffeine interfering with your critical thinking abilities (highly important and relevant for mcat)? I swear I've heard this before but don't know if there are studies done on it. Anyone know?

Aug 24, 2013
221B Baker Street
Status
Medical Student
On the topic of coffee, I know that caffeine is highly effective for short term memory. But has anyone heard anything about caffeine interfering with your critical thinking abilities (highly important and relevant for mcat)? I swear I've heard this before but don't know if there are studies done on it. Anyone know?
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20182035

Reactions: orangeman25

Law2Doc

5K+ Member
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Dec 20, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
Considering practically every resident (outside of Utah) gets through call with the help of more thn a little caffeine and tend to provide pretty good patient care and make very good decisions most of the time, even in sleep deprived states, I'd say it doesn't really interfere with critical thinking. that's the best real life study with the most data points you are ever going to find.