are capitation payments production or collections?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

smiledoctor80

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I graduated from dental school a few years ago and have been practicing in an office where I get 30% of production. Everything was great for the first year but then the clinic started taking HMO plans.

I now see double the patients but my production has dropped because I spend more time doing these HMO exams and cleanings (we have no hygienist) and can't schedule as much treatment.

The clinic doesn't mind because they get thousands of dollars in capitation payments which they keep 100% for themselves (I get $0 for exams and cleanings, in addition to doing actual dental work at far lower production)

So would I be in the wrong to ask the clinic to get 30%? At the end of the day the clinic "walks out" total production numbers and always includes the capitation numbers. For example the other day the total production of the office was $4000 but my production total was only about $3000.

So my question is are capitation payments considered production or collections. In addition do I have a reasonable right to ask for 30% of the capitation payments?

Members don't see this ad.

you should be NETTING 32% of collections to yourself. Therefore, the model could be they just pay you 32% of collections and they pay all lab / supplies OR pay you 40% and you pay your lab / supplies. As long as you get 32% all said and done it is fair. Right now, it does not sound fair.

there are some offices that give you a cut off the capitation check, although they are rare. you can ask but if they don't budge you might have to move on.