Are cardiology and pulmonology / critical care that competitive for US Grad?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alfranky

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I’m starting my fourth year and I will be applying for an Internal Medicine residency.

I will like to pursue a fellowship either in cardiology or Pulmonlogy / critical care. I’ve always heard that these fellowships are very competitive. I was undecided to follow either of these because I’m not in one of the top medical schools. I decided to check the fellowship match survey for the last three years and I noticed that the percentage of acceptance for graduates applying to these fellowships coming from a US Medical school are 93 % for cardiology and 92 % for pulmonology / critical care.

I’m hopeful to match in a University program for my residency. Do these percentages really show my chances or I’m missing something here? Of course I understand that I have to do research and get good recommendation letters.

Thanks for your answers

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I’m starting my four year and I will be applying for an Internal Medicine residency.

I will like to pursue a fellowship either in cardiology or Pulmonlogy / critical care. I’ve always heard that these fellowships are very competitive. I was undecided to follow either of these because I’m not in one of the top medical schools. I decided to check the fellowship match survey for the last three years and I noticed that the percentage of acceptance for graduates applying to these fellowships coming from a US Medical school are 93 % for cardiology and 92 % for pulmonology / critical care.

I’m hopeful to match in a University program for my residency. Do these percentages really show my chances or I’m missing something here? Of course I understand that I have to do research and get good recommendation letters.

Thanks for your answers

Both are relatively competitive. Lots of spots generally for both so good chance of finding a spot somewhere for most people. Top 20 programs for both will be fiercely competitive. But just wanting to do one or the other, I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Reactions: 1 user
Should not be a problem from university IM program.

Members don't see this ad :)
Both are relatively competitive. Lots of spots generally for both so good chance of finding a spot somewhere for most people. Top 20 programs for both will be fiercely competitive. But just wanting to do one or the other, I wouldn't worry about it too much.
Thanks jdh71, that is what I thought.

if you are a US grad and go to a University residency, I would say your chances are very very high to match. Matching is not usually the problem for US grads, Its usually where did you match. If you do research, then your probably get into a decent to great program.

I agree with everyone else, but just wanted to add that even though the match percentages are similar between Cards and Pulm/crit, the competitiveness is not the same, at least from what I've seen. In my home program, the pulm/crit applicants were a little better off than the cards applicants as far as receiving interviews and matching.