ARe community college rec. letters fine?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Mr. H, Apr 19, 2002.

1. Mr. H

Hi, just wondering if its okay to submit from a professor at a community college along with my "real" college letters?
    thanks

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. NUgirl

NUgirl Senior Member

To be honest, i wouldnt want to stress the fact that you took a class at a community college. I think your other recommendations will be given more weight anyway. I also took a class (orgo) at a college that was not quite a community college but close and asked for a rec but then decided to not send it. I mean no offense to you or anyone who takes classes there (I actually am a strong advocate of getting some harder classes over with at a comm college!), Im just saying that its fine to take classes there but I wouldnt want to emphasize that I did by getting a rec from there, thats all. Hope that helped! :)

4. SolidGold

SolidGold Florida winters are the best!

Attending Physician
    I know of people who took classes at communitee colleges and had letters by professors there and were accepted. CC teachers are are not considered any different than any other 4 year college professors.

5. Trek

Trek Grand Uranium Member

I submitted a junior college rec letter (from an EMT course, and i worked with the teacher in the field). Some people remarked how it was my best letter. Let's not be academic snobs here. --Trek

6. Mr. H

Thanks Trek, I'm thinking of getting my non-science rec from there, in a lit class I took. yeah, academics aren't everything, right?

7. SMW

SMW Grand Member

That sounds fine. Make sure it's going to be a really enthusiastic, unreserved rec (that goes for all the recs you get).

8. med student

med student Senior Member

Of course we would all like a letter of rec from the admissions director at Harvard that says we are the best student he has ever seen. But it is not going to happen. So the next question becomes is it better to have a letter from a famous prof. who doesn't know you very well or a community college prof. who has worked with you and knows you very well and therefor could write you an excellent letter. I would go with the community college prof in a second.