Are D.O. schools easier to start than M.D. schools?

Jan 4, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
Seems like most of the discussion on these boards about the current growth in medical schools is about DO schools. I'm just wondering:

1 - Are more D.O. schools opening than M.D. schools?
2 - If so, why is that?

I searched for threads on this rather obvious question but didn't see any.

Thanks!

Augustus

Removed
Oct 25, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
Seems like most of the discussion on these boards about the current growth in medical schools is about DO schools. I'm just wondering:

1 - Are more D.O. schools opening than M.D. schools?
2 - If so, why is that?

I searched for threads on this rather obvious question but didn't see any.

Thanks!
I don't think that is true at all.

Check out the "Developing Medical Schools" section

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_medical_schools_in_the_United_States

A fair number of each are scheduled to open.

TheTinker

10+ Year Member
Mar 23, 2009
Chicago
Status
Pre-Medical
Flame war - about to start...

Seriously, O.P., this topic has been answered thousands of times through multiple threads.

mechanictodr

Dropin' it like it's hot
5+ Year Member
Dec 2, 2009
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Flame war - about to start...

Seriously, O.P., this topic has been answered thousands of times through multiple threads.

I don't think he's asking what is easier to get into, but he is asking what schools are easier to start. As in... why are more DO schools opening than MD schools?

Bacchus

Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Apr 28, 2007
Status
Attending Physician
I think COCA's standards are a little less stringent than LCME's. Just a though, not sure.

TheTinker

10+ Year Member
Mar 23, 2009
Chicago
Status
Pre-Medical
I don't think he's asking what is easier to get into, but he is asking what schools are easier to start. As in... why are more DO schools opening than MD schools?
Many MD vs DO threads have had the topic "New DO schools keep popping up" thrown into the little war, and it usually always boils down to arbitrary, pre-med opinions and ignorance. Give this one some time.

jboz

Removed
Mar 21, 2010
Status
Many MD vs DO threads have had the topic "New DO schools keep popping up" thrown into the little war, and it usually always boils down to arbitrary, pre-med opinions and ignorance. Give this one some time.
If you yourself didn't make 2 posts instigating this, no one would have even thought about it...

Good job possibly starting a flame war by trying to be cool and predict it...

Last edited:

Old Grunt

2000 yard stare
10+ Year Member
Aug 28, 2007
Status
Attending Physician
If you yourself didn't make 2 posts instigating this, no one would have even thought about it...

Good job possibly starting a flame war by trying to be cool and predict it...
You know what the nice thing about being in medical school is? You are too busy trying to learn medicine on your own to worry about what your classmates, let alone people in other programs, are doing.

Jan 4, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
You guys - this is in no way a flame post. This isn't about a DO vs MD quality or perception debate. It is, as one poster correctly said, about whether there are significantly higher numbers of DO schools being started than MD schools, and if so, why. That is all.

I thought maybe it had to do with DO schools being less about research than MD schools, so they don't need to be attached to a university teaching hospital, therefore making them simpler to start?