SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Are D-schools all about their stats?

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by doc3232, May 9, 2008.

1. doc3232

doc3232 7+ Year Member

Feb 15, 2008
    Do schools only care about their stats (gpa and DAT)?
    Would they take a 4.0 easy major/college student over a legit one?
    I have to work hard to pull off a 3.5 while others don't, so am I getting anything out of it?
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. alanan84

alanan84 D1 5+ Year Member

Mar 17, 2008
    I think all schools are a little different on this one. Most schools are truly looking for the well rounded applicant. An applicant that has done community service, that has taken tough upper level science courses, that blows away the interview with a sharp personality, that separates themselves from the pack in some way. I think most schools realize alot of factors go into making a good dentist and so they won't just take a 4.0 because he's a 4.0. All the people rejected from Houston last cycle on predents actually had above a 3.5 and Baylor rejected someone with over a 3.9. You would think a 3.9 would be a shoe in but thats not always the case.
  4. Jabbawockeez

Jabbawockeez 2+ Year Member

Mar 21, 2008
    Where the Lakers play
    It sure feels that way sometimes, doesn't it? :thumbdown:
  5. jay47

jay47 Think Positively! 5+ Year Member

Aug 4, 2007

Absolutely not, no to the second, and yes to the third question. They want GOOD, INTELLIGENT PEOPLE. If you are working half time, or full time at that, they always take that into consideration. Coure load is also VERY important. The interview is the time to show them what type of person you are and if you should really be in this field.

The reason schools care about stats is simply because they need to know you are committed to dentistry. It's not like it used to be when a 17 would get you in, the environment has changed and so has the competition. I've talked with admissions and they say they have so many qualified applicants they have to turn away just because there aren't that many seats available.

This whole entire website scares some people because people are constantly posting 20's, 21's and 22's. I've even seen some people say they have gotten 24's even though only about a dozen people get a 24 each year. Everyone on here is a nerd anyways and has higher than average scores. You just need to be +/- .5 from the avearge GPA/DAT at the school you are applying to have a good shot. Take what you read with a grain of salt and remember this is a 30/30/30 deal. GPA/DAT/Application. I would even go so far as to say that the app is more like 50% because you are in complete control of what happens. DO NOT SLACK on the personal statements, tell them about why you LOVE this field and will do anything to get in.

If you want to get it, you can and will.
  6. UCSFplayboy

UCSFplayboy 2010 2+ Year Member

Jan 26, 2008
    Are you Jay McGraw, son of Dr. Phil McGraw?
  7. MnBr63

MnBr63 7+ Year Member

Oct 25, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    preach on