Are December Interviews that bad? (interview for Midwestern)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gettingbread

Reaction score
Hello, pre-dent friends,

I got an interview with the College of Dental Medicine - Arizona at Midwestern University Glendale. I was disappointed to see though that my interview will be in early December, because I heard that December interviewees are not really likely to gain admission. Maybe the interview cycle just got pushed back due to COVID, and a December interview isn't so bad? lmk
Much thanks to anyone who can shed light on the issue!

Members don't see this ad.

Something is better than nothing so just prepare as well as you can for it and turn it into an acceptance! No use fretting about it - they sent you an invite because they're interested. Now it's on you to show them you're worth it! But yes, because of all the craziness going on, no one really knows what's going on so again, just be happy you have an interview and prepare well for it. I'm sure there are many others that would kill to have at least one :)

Reactions: 1 users
Hello, pre-dent friends,

I got an interview with the College of Dental Medicine - Arizona at Midwestern University Glendale. I was disappointed to see though that my interview will be in early December, because I heard that December interviewees are not really likely to gain admission. Maybe the interview cycle just got pushed back due to COVID, and a December interview isn't so bad? lmk
Much thanks to anyone who can shed light on the issue!
They only gave you the optIon to choose a December date?!?

Members don't see this ad :)
Something is better than nothing so just prepare as well as you can for it and turn it into an acceptance! No use fretting about it - they sent you an invite because they're interested. Now it's on you to show them you're worth it! But yes, because of all the craziness going on, no one really knows what's going on so again, just be happy you have an interview and prepare well for it. I'm sure there are many others that would kill to have at least one :)
Thank you for your response :)
I am looking forward to interviewing and I really like the school! I am definitely grateful I have this opportunity. However, I also want to have a realistic understanding and expectation about what a late interview means, and how (if at all) significantly it damages my chances of admission.

I think it was "first come, first serve" as those who posted they got an interview prior to me had an earlier interview than what it allowed me to have.. Mine is September 17th..

They pre-book their whole interview cycle. I remember when I got an interview there it was in Sept for a Feb date. Does a later date lower your chances of admission? Yes for sure, so keep an eye out for any interview slots that open up.

Reactions: 1 user
They pre-book their whole interview cycle. I remember when I got an interview there it was in Sept for a Feb date. Does a later date lower your chances of admission? Yes for sure, so keep an eye out for any interview slots that open up.
will do! much thanks

I know that the acceptences are going out a couple weeks later this year in mid-Dec. Is your interview before or after this date? If before, then you are still considered the "pre-Dec" crowd and can consider yourself still lucky.

When I chose my date for my MWU interview, it was one week after acceptances were released, so I was technically in the "post-Dec" crowd with my interview. However, you should be assured that the majority of my close circle at MWU were accepted post-Dec. If they like you as a candidate, it doesn't matter where they are even if seats are seemingly overfilled, they will accept you or place you on a waitlist. They have a 50% acceptance rate with their interviews.

If you want an earlier date, check the portal daily and reschedule your interview date - you'll then see if any dates are available to select sooner and every so often a date will pop up because someone else cancelled or needed to move theirs to another date due to a conflict. I know a couple people who were able to move theirs to a pre-Dec interview like this (wish I had known to try this in my cycle).

I know that the acceptences are going out a couple weeks later this year in mid-Dec. Is your interview before or after this date? If before, then you are still considered the "pre-Dec" crowd and can consider yourself still lucky.

When I chose my date for my MWU interview, it was one week after acceptances were released, so I was technically in the "post-Dec" crowd with my interview. However, you should be assured that the majority of my close circle at MWU were accepted post-Dec. If they like you as a candidate, it doesn't matter where they are even if seats are seemingly overfilled, they will accept you or place you on a waitlist. They have a 50% acceptance rate with their interviews.

If you want an earlier date, check the portal daily and reschedule your interview date - you'll then see if any dates are available to select sooner and every so often a date will pop up because someone else cancelled or needed to move theirs to another date due to a conflict. I know a couple people who were able to move theirs to a pre-Dec interview like this (wish I had known to try this in my cycle).

Very encouraging to hear that post-Dec acceptances are not all rare. I'm not sure if I am in the pre-Dec acceptance crowd, as my date is for Dec 7 and I was under the impression acceptances are sent out the first. What you shared about being able to check the portal and reschedule is SO helpful. This post and this response was exactly what I was looking for, and I only wish I could give your response a second thumbs up.

Very encouraging to hear that post-Dec acceptances are not all rare. I'm not sure if I am in the pre-Dec acceptance crowd, as my date is for Dec 7 and I was under the impression acceptances are sent out the first. What you shared about being able to check the portal and reschedule is SO helpful. This post and this response was exactly what I was looking for, and I only wish I could give your response a second thumbs up.
Acceptances are sent out December 15. They got pushed back two weeks due to COVID-19. You're fine.

Reactions: 1 users
Acceptances are sent out December 15. They got pushed back two weeks due to COVID-19. You're fine.
This just about the first time I saw something on SDN that relaxed me instead of stressed me out lol
Much thanks for the info.