are dental assistant license and x ray license separate things?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jankodejenko

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
can you get your x ray license and specifically only work with x rays without having a DA license? or is the DA license a mandatory foundation.

if so are there any legit websites that I can pursue (either) license? I googled a bunch but want to verify their legitimacy.

Members don't see this ad.

Depends on which state you live in. In my state, all I had to do was take an 8 hour class on Saturday to be X-ray certified and I wasn’t required to get a DA certification

can you get your x ray license and specifically only work with x rays without having a DA license? or is the DA license a mandatory foundation.

if so are there any legit websites that I can pursue (either) license? I googled a bunch but want to verify their legitimacy.
Information about the licensing requirements is available on your local dental licensing organization website.
Usually you can do chairside assisting without the license, but need one for x-rays. Duties such as impressions and teeth polishing requires a license as well

Members don't see this ad :)
im looking at this site right now Dental Certifications in San Diego | California Dental Certifications

is it really just one 8 hr class and that's it?
I'd believe it. You could easily learn everything you need to know in an in-person 8 hour class. In my state, we have an online program through the state's dental association. You have to sign up with a dentist you work for. It wasn't difficult at all. It culminated with me having to demonstrate the ability to perform two acceptable full-mouth series of images (including four bitewings). My boss (a dentist) had to sign off on me demonstrating competency.

Dental assistant requirements vary widely state to state, though.