Are Dental Loupes worth it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DMD2015MG

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Just starting out my first year of Dental school and was wondering if dental loupes are necessary to purchase for the first year? If so, which brands or magnification do you suggest?

Thanks for the advice in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Absolutely worth it. I am a 2nd year and got through 1st year barely without them doing amalgam, composite, and post fixed. My posture is very poor without them. You will be able to see really well with the loupe and light assembly as well as having great posture. Plus, our instructors grade with loupes on.

Hey guys,

Just starting out my first year of Dental school and was wondering if dental loupes are necessary to purchase for the first year? If so, which brands or magnification do you suggest?

Thanks for the advice in advance!

i find it hard without loupes now. you just see so much more with loupes and it's supposed to help your posture as well

Members don't see this ad :)
i find it hard without loupes now. you just see so much more with loupes and it's supposed to help your posture as well

I find it even harder to work without an adequate headlight. If you are going to get loupes, get a light. Equally, if not more important than magnification

Nice, thanks for the advice guys.

As far as brand, magnification, and where to find a decent set, would anyone know where to look?

I'm moving into 2nd year and the first thing on my todo list when school starts back up is to buy a pair of loupes.

I know I'm going to get some flack on this but I'm going with the DFV 2.5X, undecided on the light. In my limited experience, the 2.5's seemed adequate and I don't want to deal with the massive telescopes on the 3.5X EF. Plus, alot of instructors seem to use the 2.5's...

I had worked without loupes for abour 3 yrs before starting to use them.
they r amazing..
Im never doing any major procedure without them ever again.

what light would be best with surgitel loupes?

I'm moving into 2nd year and the first thing on my todo list when school starts back up is to buy a pair of loupes.

I know I'm going to get some flack on this but I'm going with the DFV 2.5X, undecided on the light. In my limited experience, the 2.5's seemed adequate and I don't want to deal with the massive telescopes on the 3.5X EF. Plus, alot of instructors seem to use the 2.5's...

Frankly, who cares if folks give you flack for wanting/getting 2.5x loupes. Get what you feel comfortable with!

Myself in my practice I have 2 pairs. A pair of 2.5x loupes that are my "regular" pair that I wear for the majority of the procedures that I do. And then a pair of 3.5x loupes that I use for certain procedures (usually endo) where I am focused mainly just on 1 tooth and want a higher degree of magnification.

With loupes just like so many other "materials" and techniques in dentistry, its about what finding what works best FOR YOU and thus allows YOU to do the best work that YOU can. Just because someone else may use a different "material" or technique that works great in THEIR hands doesn't always mean that it will work great in YOUR hands! :idea:

Frankly, who cares if folks give you flack for wanting/getting 2.5x loupes. Get what you feel comfortable with!

Myself in my practice I have 2 pairs. A pair of 2.5x loupes that are my "regular" pair that I wear for the majority of the procedures that I do. And then a pair of 3.5x loupes that I use for certain procedures (usually endo) where I am focused mainly just on 1 tooth and want a higher degree of magnification.

With loupes just like so many other "materials" and techniques in dentistry, its about what finding what works best FOR YOU and thus allows YOU to do the best work that YOU can. Just because someone else may use a different "material" or technique that works great in THEIR hands doesn't always mean that it will work great in YOUR hands! :idea:

:thumbup: This!

And FWIW I'm a D2 who used 2.5x DFVs throughout D1 and absolutely loved them. I compared them side by side to a another student's 3.5x loupes and I feel (up until this point at least) my 2.5x loupes worked just as well for me. Plus, I saved a chunk of change.

:thumbup: This!

And FWIW I'm a D2 who used 2.5x DFVs throughout D1 and absolutely loved them. I compared them side by side to a another student's 3.5x loupes and I feel (up until this point at least) my 2.5x loupes worked just as well for me. Plus, I saved a chunk of change.

Where did you buy your loupes from?

Already been said above, but let me say it again. Get a light with the loupes. Makes all the difference in the world. Magnifying a shadow is not going to help you at all.

Where did you buy your loupes from?

I bought mine through the DFV rep that came to our school 1x per month; I ended up getting it with the light too, which (like mooredge) I also recommend. As an added incentive, if you buy the package as a dental student you get a few hundred off the total cost.

I have never used and don't own loupes neither do some of my classmates. Im a 3rd year and do good work. I would argue that they arent necessary. It just depends on how you want to learn how to do things. If you get loupes and learn how to do everything with loupes then you will need loupes every time you work. People that purchase loupes will tell you that they are necessary for this reason.
As for your question of whether or not you need them 1st year. The answer is 100% NO. You do not need loupes your first year of dental school.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have never used and don't own loupes neither do some of my classmates. Im a 3rd year and do good work. I would argue that they arent necessary. It just depends on how you want to learn how to do things. If you get loupes and learn how to do everything with loupes then you will need loupes every time you work. People that purchase loupes will tell you that they are necessary for this reason.
As for your question of whether or not you need them 1st year. The answer is 100% NO. You do not need loupes your first year of dental school.

I agree you don't need loupes first year but that kind of depends on the school's curricula.

Many of the instructors at my school not only strongly recommend loupes but practically require them. We've even started getting additional financial aid to help us buy them.

It's amazing what I can see with a pair of loupes that was invisible to the naked eye. And I wear contacts with 20/20 vision... For me, I feel like loupes are a "must buy".

It is not only about the quality of the work and greater ability to resolve small objects with ease. Loupes will save your back and force you to have better ergonomics. They keep you a respectable distance away from the patient while allowing for excellent visibility (especially with a light). Moreover, I'd bet that most practicing dentists (at least every single one I know or shadowed) use some type of magnification and several have told me how they wished they would have since the beginning; I know I want to avoid the classic 'humpback dentist' look in 20+ years.

I disagree 100%.

Oh yeah, I've heard the "If you buy loupes, then you will become dependent upon them!" argument one too many times. And my response: "Umm.. so I will become dependent on holding my work to a higher standard AND saving my back? Yep, that's a horrible idea."

Do I think it is possible to perform clinically acceptable dentistry without loupes? Absolutely. But don't your patients deserve better than clinically acceptable? I think so.

Hup

I disagree 100%.

Oh yeah, I've heard the "If you buy loupes, then you will become dependent upon them!" argument one too many times. And my response: "Umm.. so I will become dependent on holding my work to a higher standard AND saving my back? Yep, that's a horrible idea."

Do I think it is possible to perform clinically acceptable dentistry without loupes? Absolutely. But don't your patients deserve better than clinically acceptable? I think so.

Hup

I agree 100%.

Loupes give you
  1. More accurate work
  2. Better posture
  3. the ability to denote yourself as a dentist when you walk into public spaces liek the campus student center
  4. etc

While you might not want them first year, I personally think the sooner you start using them, the better your preps/waxing will look. So far as a Second year, I have found loupes help tremendously in getting the proper form while SRP-ing. I see classmates who dont use loupes attempting to instrument the palatal side whilst bending over their sim unit destroying their back.

On my end:
I got the DFV 3.5 expanded fields in the Buddy Holly frames with an ultralight optics featherlight. perfect set up for everything I need. In the future, since I would love to go overseas and do mission work, I plan on getting a similar setup but with smaller telescopes for more portability.

I got 3.5x extended DFV, Buddy Holly frames w/ the light, and used them since day one. Turned out to be a great decision.

If you get loupes and learn how to do everything with loupes then you will need loupes every time you work. People that purchase loupes will tell you that they are necessary for this reason.

If you're concerned that something will happen to your loupes and you won't be able to work until they are replaced, then simply buy a second pair and keep them close-by in a locker at all times. I know it's not ideal in a financially-strapped situation, but I think it's good insurance.

You could even stagger the magnification (ie. one pair 3.5x, one pair 4.5x) so you'd not only have a backup, but also something a little stronger to sub in for an endo case, if you'd like.

I agree with the above comment that it depends on your school's curriculum. At VCU we started drilling with dentsim from day 1. Personally I think you do more precise work with loupes so why not get them from the beginning and just learn with them.

I have Heine 2.5 flip ups. The main reason I bought them is because I flip back and forth with wearing contacts and glasses to school depending on how lazy I am in the morning. I got the prescription insert that pops in and out so I can use them either way. As far as lights go, I just recently bought an Ultralight and I love it. I had the Heine light originally, but my new light is much lighter, brighter, better battery pack design and life, and overall easier to use. I'm also really liking having a composite filter which the Heine light did not have. The filter was a little extra, but worth having IMO.

Scotty

at LLU, you really don't need loupes until spring quarter of D1 year, but definitely want them from D2 year on. I didn't get mine until the beginning of D2 year and I wish I had them for the spring quarter when we were doing composite preps.

Loupes, unless you have eagle vision, are essential, IMO. Get a light by, say, Ultralight Optics and at least 3.0 magnification (depending on the company) and you're doing well.

I have a 3.0 normal field flip-ups by Surgitel and an Ultralight headlamp. I very much want to upgrade to a 4.5 or 5.5 very soon.

The choice of what loupes to get is one you need to make for yourself. Try on diff brands and see what feels good and what looks good. What is impt to me may not matter to you at all.

I have two pair. I have DFV 2.5x and the DFV 4.5x expanded field. I have a LumaDent light on my 2.5x and the Ultralight on my 4.5x. I'm in my 4th year at MWU and I exclusively use my 4.5x expanded field loupes with the ultralight for everything (sometimes I'd rather wear the 2.5x's for surgery). I found the 2.5x were okay, but left me wanting a little more. Since I upgraded to the 4.5x EF midway through my D3 year I have never looked back. My preps are better, and I'm a lot more critical of my work because I CAN SEE what I am doing. Like someone mentioned earlier, dentists for years have practiced without them, but I guarantee your margins will be better, your ergonomics will be better and you will be more critical of your work. It just adds a higher degree of precision to your work, especially if your are doing "high maintenance" preps such as inlays/onlays or CAD/CAM restorations.

As far as when you need them, I'd say it depends on the school. At MWU, we started waxing the beginning of D1 year so the loupes helped from the very beginning.

I have two pair. I have DFV 2.5x and the DFV 4.5x expanded field. I have a LumaDent light on my 2.5x and the Ultralight on my 4.5x. I'm in my 4th year at MWU and I exclusively use my 4.5x expanded field loupes with the ultralight for everything (sometimes I'd rather wear the 2.5x's for surgery). I found the 2.5x were okay, but left me wanting a little more. Since I upgraded to the 4.5x EF midway through my D3 year I have never looked back. My preps are better, and I'm a lot more critical of my work because I CAN SEE what I am doing. Like someone mentioned earlier, dentists for years have practiced without them, but I guarantee your margins will be better, your ergonomics will be better and you will be more critical of your work. It just adds a higher degree of precision to your work, especially if your are doing "high maintenance" preps such as inlays/onlays or CAD/CAM restorations.

As far as when you need them, I'd say it depends on the school. At MWU, we started waxing the beginning of D1 year so the loupes helped from the very beginning.

Is the ultralight significantly better then the light you can buy as a package deal with the DFV loupes?

Is the ultralight significantly better then the light you can buy as a package deal with the DFV loupes?

I wouldn't say so. I'd go with whatever is cheapest. Now that DFV has the smaller light, I would have gone with that, but it wasn't an option at the time for me. My cheapy lumadent is great, I really like the rocker switch, wish Ultralight would incorporate it onto their batteries.

ultralight now has a rocker switch on their battery pack, with an iphone4-style +/- buttons for the intensity of the light. I seriously need to get a new pack.