Are dentists really getting paid $23 an hour in Canada??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

polf

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
http://www.cbc.ca/health/story/2008/03/27/dental-surgeons.html?ref=rss

"The dentists have rejected the government's latest offer to raise their fee to $25 an hour from $23 for treating children under the age of 10 and people on social assistance."

"If there is still no settlement after eight days, Couillard said, the province will issue a decree to force dentists to charge patients the fee established by the government, and again the patients will be reimbursed by the province." :eek:

Members don't see this ad.

Wow that is less than a pharmacist but then you have to remember that govt is paying them.. Though HMOs also sleaze off the doctors [that is why some doctors / hospitals only want PPOs], govt is even cheaper when it comes to paying up!

This is not representative of regular fees in Canada. While we have socialized medicine, dentistry remains fee for service. In Ontario there are subsidized government programs aimed at providing fees for individuals on welfare, disability and children in low income families etc. My understanding is that dentists who ELECT to accept these programs can collect this fee and not allowed to charge beyond what the programs provide and thus collect a copay. In many cases the fee likely barely covers overhead and suspect many accept the programs with the intention of helping those in need. The federal government recently announced it's intention to provide funding for dental care to low income families and I believe part of the plan is to supplement these existing programs and raise fees to a more reasonable level. Quebec may be different, but I suspect the same scenario applies.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is how the canadian system works, Dental work in Canada is for the most part a private health care system. However some families that meet certain low tier economic requirements have their dental work paid for, and the Provincal government pays the dentist the amount owed. This is called Social Services.

With this exception Canadian dentists make the same as their equivalent american counter parts.

Sounds like they need some ADHPs in Canada.

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Don't believe everything you read about salaries on websites. How many people actually report their true net worth in these reports? :) Canadian dentists make much more than that.