Are doctors underpaid?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
here's the quote I liked...

"If you believe physicians are overpaid now, wait until no one wants to be one. That is the point at which we will all be paying a high price, not only with our wallets, but with our health."

Except, in my opinion, I don't think that this will ever happen. I'm certain that there is no shortage of people filling out their AMCAS applications.

and once they're far enough in to it to realize what has happened and how hard that it really is going to be after residency, we're so far in debt we can't do anything but finish and try to pay off our loans and not lose our house when we get sued.

There's no shortage of people applying for medicine for there is a real shortage of Primary care physicians and applicants to this field. Its been said that in the next 10-15 years there might be a really big problem with this (old docs retiring, baby boomers becoming elderly patients requiring a PCP). this can get pretty ugly if nothing is done now.

There's no shortage of people applying for medicine for there is a real shortage of Primary care physicians and applicants to this field. Its been said that in the next 10-15 years there might be a really big problem with this (old docs retiring, baby boomers becoming elderly patients requiring a PCP). this can get pretty ugly if nothing is done now.

For better or for worse the midlevel prpoviders (NP/PA) will step in to fill this gap in care. Sadly the American public doesn't value a good primary care physician like they should. While a lot appear to function as triage centers, a truly good PCP is a huge asset to the medical system.

They're always talking about a teacher shortage as well, and how there aren't enough people willing to teach in the inner city, but you don't see the void being filled by teachers aide's with AA degrees....that would be an outrage right? But not nurses filling in as doctors.
Como agua para chocolate...