1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Are DOs mechanically inclined?

Discussion in 'Medical Students - DO' started by dieselkid, May 9, 2001.

1. dieselkid

dieselkid Member
    10+ Year Member

Thought there might be a need for this thread. I grew up fixing cars and motorcycles. It's funny but, this is one of the reasons why I chose osteopathy...I really enjoy working with my hands. Are there any other DO gearheads out there? Lateley, I've been going through a Honda MC phase: 72 CB500, 78 GL1000. Hoping I'll be able to wrench a little during school (first-year). Well, maybe I'm kidding myself.

Replies?

-dieselkid

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. kundun

kundun Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

just purchased a yamaha road star midnight star...1602 cc displacement..with chrome forks and fenders..studded saddle and pillon...

4. melancholy

melancholy 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Boys and their toys.. heh, just kidding. Actually, I grew up loving to tinker with things.. electronics, building models, tools, etc. Unfortunately, I don't know much about cars or motorcycles.

I don't know.. do any of you DO's or future DO's feel like most of your colleagues/peers are mechanically inclined in some fashion?

5. bustinbooty

bustinbooty Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I don't think you can deduce that people with good hand-eye coord. are drawn to osteopathy, but I whole-heartedly feel that those with good hand coordination and spatial intelligence are certainly at an advantage. WE get to use our hands to perceive temperature, pressure, texture, and a miriad of other things. I think anyone with a lot of experience using their bare hands to perform tasks will certainly excel in osteopathy. It's all about that sensory and coordination pathway between the brain and the fingertips.

6. j8463dp

j8463dp Member
    7+ Year Member

I don't know about osteopathy, but it sure would be the case for ortho..

7. Paul's Boutique

10+ Year Member

I have -always- been a tinkerer / good at fixing things. Yes, I think that was one of the appeals of osteopathy---the hands-on approach. I am not a sit-back, 'from a distance' kind of guy.

8. DocHunter9

DocHunter9 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

This is even more so than you can imagine. As an Army recruiter for almost 8 years (Medical Recruiting for three) I have experience with something called the ASVAB, or the Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery. During some training I was going through so that I would be qualified to read ASVAB results and assist my High School counselors woth career counseling, I had a conversation with one of the persons who decevlopes portions of the test and is constantly reviewing results and comparing sucess especially in the military to keep the test as accurate as possible. He said the one of the funniest things that he encounterd in his job was the fact that kids who end up as mechanics and kids who end up being doctors only have three differences, interest and knowledge of english and math and an interest in school. Otherwise they are almost indistinguisable (sp?).

9. dieselkid

dieselkid Member
    10+ Year Member

Aha! So there is a correlation. Thanks for the above post. Maybe you have some insight to the following?

As an aside I remember taking a test in high school (1980s) that was offered by the armed forces. It was used to identify what civilian/ military career we would be best suited for. I was identified as an Optometrist or a Nuclear Submarine Commander. To this day I am still baffled.

Anyone else take this test?

10. Liquid_Tension

Liquid_Tension Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Diesel.......I can think of a lot of people who like to work with their hands, and have been working with their hands all their life...and most of these people are NOT physicians, much less osteopathic physicians! I think that in your car and motorcycle repair work, a bit of diesel gas entered your central nervous system. So what you need to do is to utilize your hands to clean out your polluted brain. I think this should prevent your asking of any more totally ridiculous questions. You know, there are a lot of people out there who enjoy working with their hands......these people are professional masturbators. Yes, they use their hands daily for pleasure. Perhaps you fall into this category as well?
    -your most even handed Liquid

p.s. This is my first post in quite some time. Sorry I have been away, I am sure that you all missed me...hope everyone is well. :)

11. DocHunter9

DocHunter9 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Diesel,
    If you remember, the test was a two parter. The first part was the actual test and the second part (about four weeks later) was all about your personal interests. the combination of your test scores AND your interests were what gave you possible career fields. Certain career fields (like nuclear sub commander and Doctor) require Type A personalities where attention to detail(not to mention intelligence) is a common trait.

12. Frosty

Frosty Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

I believe there is a strong correlation between being mechanically inclined and one's interest and success in medicine (this is not to say that you're not going to be successful if your not mechanically inclined). My mom loves to tell a story of when I was four, I totally disassembled my bicycle (to her horor) and then put it back together. Later, through high school and college, I owned two cars (VW GTI & VW Jetta) and two motorcycles (Kawaski ZX-7 & Suzuki GSR-750R). When I first owned the vehicles I bought the repair book and over the years I have done all of the maintenance and repair work myself. Where I believe the correlation comes into play is that all of these experiences have taught me, and sharpened my skills, in the context of diagnosis & treatment. I mean in order to fix your vehicle you first have to figure out what's wrong with it. This is actually the hardest part. To diagnosis you have to listen to the engine in detail, much like you would while taking a hx and vitals of a patient. You also have to be hangs-on, for example trying to determine where odd vibrations in the engine coming from, much like you would while palpating a patient. Also, as you are taught in osteopathic medicine, the immediate condition is many times related to another underlining one. You have to take the whole person approach. Finally, I am happy to say that all of my prognosis to date have been excellent!

In terms of Liquid_Tension's comments, I don't believe it is right to call anyone's questions "ridiculous". If so, how are you ever going to be a competent & compassionate physician? Finally, I think that this person is spank'n his monkey just a little too much ... just look at their log on name.

13. dieselkid

dieselkid Member
    10+ Year Member

Hey Frosty- Thanks for the comments. As an interesting aside. I understand that car mechanics in Mexico use body parts as the slang expressions for car parts ie: heart = carburetor, radiator = bowels, etc. Found this out in a Medical Anthropology course back in college.

-dieselkid

14. Frosty

Frosty Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Hey dieselkid - I didn't know that. I guest the mechanics in Mexico are a step ahead of us.

-Frosty

15. Chris_Topher

Chris_Topher SeƱor Member
    10+ Year Member

'85 BMW R80RT that is currently half-way put-back-together in my garage. Should I study for boards, or work on the bike?

So far, a little bit of both.

16. Jamier2

Jamier2 SDN Hillbilly Moderator
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

I took it back in 92, and it suggested something involving medicine if I remember right. At the time I thought it was funny, because I KNEW I wanted to be a helicopter pilot. Now I'm applying to med school this year. Funny how things turn out, ain't it?