Are English Literature Classes considered part of expository writing classes?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UrbanDweller

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Most medical schools state at least one year requirement in English. Some instead state that applicants should complete one year of expository writing courses. Do English literature courses count as expository courses?
As an undergrad in engineering I took english 101 which was english composition. Now I'm figuring out what other english class to take at another institution. There is english 101 that is western classical literature. Or would I be better off taking taking some other writing class, like technical writing.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

All but one of the schools I've contacted said my English literature courses (Intro to Fiction, Intro to Shakespeare) would count towards the requirement. I think as long as it's in the English department you should be fine.

as far as writing classes go for med schools, do they only consider "writing intensive courses." There is a class i may have to take called Academic WRI 102 which is a "writing" instructional course, but idn if i should opt out of it or take it. Anyone have advice??