Are facial peircings only acceptable in female physicians of Indian descent?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

carlosc1dbz

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have noticed this, in Private practice, as well as academics. Anyone else noticed this, that could maybe educate me on the custom?

Members don't see this ad.

Well nose rings are very common in India (especially on the left nostril). It's a cultural/religious thing - for women, a piercing on the left nostril is supposed to make childbirth easier - it's also a way to honor parvati (a Hindu goddess) and sometimes is a sign of marriage.

For younger or unmarried women, it's mostly it's just a societal thing where most girls just get their nose pierced.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have seen a couple of non-Indian female med students/residents with very subtle and unobtrusive nose piercings. Nobody cared. But this is in Psych. Psychiatrists tend to be more free-wheeling than some other specialties are. ;)

I have seen a couple of non-Indian female med students/residents with very subtle and unobtrusive nose piercings. Nobody cared. But this is in Psych. Psychiatrists tend to be more free-wheeling than some other specialties are. ;)

Thats why I love psych.