are females typically more gentle, accomodating interviewers?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SD Skunk

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
after tallying, i ended up interview with a total of 19 interviewers (including the three from northwestern's panel interview). out of those 19, 2 were female and both very kind. did anybody have any aggressive female interviewers?

Members don't see this ad.

Did I have aggressive female interviewers?
yes. many.

So much so that I would almost (if I didnt know that I probably had the luck of the draw) say that the opposite is true.

I think it depends on the person. I had nice males and agressive females. Everyone is different.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll agree with that.

3 females, all very nice

One of which I was the first interview she has ever done as she was new. She asked me what questions I usually get asked on the interview trail so she could use those on her upcoming interviews.

ellia08 said:
Did I have aggressive female interviewers?
yes. many.

So much so that I would almost (if I didnt know that I probably had the luck of the draw) say that the opposite is true.
u think that females interviewers are more aggresive towards female applicants? maybe this is true. i haven't had a female yet, so i have no clue. this would be an interesting poll...

naw, I think I just got lucky.

Of course I cant speak for all my female interviewers but the one I did observe with a male applicant seemed just as tough with him. It was just the way she was, I think. To be honest I liked her better for it. Aggressive is kinda fun. It keeps me on my toes.

SD Skunk said:
after tallying, i ended up interview with a total of 19 interviewers (including the three from northwestern's panel interview). out of those 19, 2 were female and both very kind. did anybody have any aggressive female interviewers?

Not so much aggressive as distanced and cold. Three of my female interviewers just shot volleys of questions at me. The tone of the interviews was very interrogative and they did not give me any feedback or show any reaction to what I said. It was unnerving.

My female interviewers were more formal. The guys generally wanted to talk fantasy football, movies, and travel. They were way more laid back.

Totals:

9 Males, 6 Females

My experience is that female interviewers are more helpful in an interview, whereas male interviewers can be less helpful and require you to prove yourself more. (I'm male, by the way.) I tend to get along better with women, and so, based on that, I would always prefer a female interviewer if I could choose. I was not accepted at my alma mater, primarily in my opinion due to interviewing with two males, or I should clarify, that I failed to prove myself as they expected. I interviewed at another similar school with two women and was accepted. They didn't sit there and say, "prove it". They were engaging and worked with me to get the answers that they wanted. I also think that cross-sex interviews can go better. Female interviewers can be harder on females.