Are Filipinos considered as URM?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
And for those that attend these schools, I have seen first hand that the Filipino population is very high. In the UCs, Filipinos are known to be the 2nd highest in population (right below Chinese), but hands-down least represented in medical school. Willing to hear other opinions, but I strongly believe it boils down to culture.

Just my opinion.

Why is that? There's so many Filipinos in different universities however, not enough of them are accepted into medical school. Is it because most Filipinos don't get the sufficient stats for admission? Or is it maybe because as said before, they would rather choose a career that makes "good money" for little time like nursing? Several of my Filipino friends also would like to pursue a nursing career, but then again, I've been seeing more of them who are now pursuing an MD/DO. Could the reason simply be that not enough Filipinos apply to medical school? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Filipinos are the best URMs. I used to like chinese food, but sometimes I get a little tired of lo mein. And sushi is just too damn expensive.

HTH.

Why is that? There's so many Filipinos in different universities however, not enough of them are accepted into medical school. Is it because most Filipinos don't get the sufficient stats for admission? Or is it maybe because as said before, they would rather choose a career that makes "good money" for little time like nursing? Several of my Filipino friends also would like to pursue a nursing career, but then again, I've been seeing more of them who are now pursuing an MD/DO. Could the reason simply be that not enough Filipinos apply to medical school? Thanks.

I was just talking to my mother about this who, of course, is a nurse. I presume it is because there just isn't enough support in the family to pursue such an intense and demanding career such as medicine. When you have your parents halfheartedly supporting you, all the other Filipino friends around you pursuing other wonderful careers without the debilitating effects of being pre-med, and nobody in the community understanding the magnitude of what you are about to go through--then of course it is hard to persevere through this God-forsaken process.

And as for your friends, just wondering, what year in college are they? I had many in undergrad that were pre-med 1st and 2nd year, then they changed after O-Chem, Physics, etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I was just talking to my mother about this who, of course, is a nurse. I presume it is because there just isn't enough support in the family to pursue such an intense and demanding career such as medicine. When you have your parents halfheartedly supporting you, all the other Filipino friends around you pursuing other wonderful careers without the debilitating effects of being pre-med, and nobody in the community understanding the magnitude of what you are about to go through--then of course it is hard to persevere through this God-forsaken process.

And as for your friends, just wondering, what year in college are they? I had many in undergrad that were pre-med 1st and 2nd year, then they changed after O-Chem, Physics, etc.

Yeah about 1st nd 2nd. I know at least one us determined to go through. And really? Why the change of heart? Did they not do well in those classes?

how are you officially labeled as URM? I am puerto rican and white. I put that on my AMCAS and AACOMAS, but thats it. I'm not disadvantaged in any way, but i konw puerto ricans are underrepresented.

We're in the same position because even though we are not disvantaged economic wise, the Filipino population is underrepresented in medicine.

Filipinos are the best URMs. I used to like chinese food, but sometimes I get a little tired of lo mein. And sushi is just too damn expensive.

HTH.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm here for the balut! :smuggrin: