Are half of the interviews slots already given out??

Holmwood

WOW
2+ Year Member
Jul 20, 2014
So according to @gyngyn in this forum: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/what-is-the-ideal-premed-student.1162038/ half of interview slots have already been given out. I also checked Oakland and their interview tracker says 238/500 interviews have already been given....does anyone knows if this is true for the majority of schools?? It seems a bit early for 50% of interview slots to already be gone....
Majority of applicants should already have their applications submitted by this time, so I'm not surprised.

Your chances of an acceptance later in the cycle depends on the school and the strength of your application of course.

About the Ads

gonnif

Only 342 Days Until Next Presidential Election
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
Non-Student
So according to @gyngyn in this forum: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/what-is-the-ideal-premed-student.1162038/ half of interview slots have already been given out. I also checked Oakland and their interview tracker says 238/500 interviews have already been given....does anyone knows if this is true for the majority of schools?? It seems a bit early for 50% of interview slots to already be gone....
Since transmission of applications are started on July 1 with some 75%-80% (at minimum) of primary applications are transmitted before the end of August and somewhere 50%+ secondaries in by mid September, having some 50% of interview slots assigned makes sense. Additionally, many schools may have either subcommittees or metrics/standards that allow for II without full committee review. This certainly is common at schools with long time adcom directors, active admissions deans, and long time adcom members.

piii

5+ Year Member
May 21, 2013
Status
Medical Student
At a lot of schools yes: NYMC, Tulane, OUWB. But for some schools probably not: Tufts has only given IIs to people complete before 7/17.

CellPowerhouse

2+ Year Member
Jun 30, 2015
Charm City
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
According to the UMichigan Admissions powerpoint (last updated 9/9), 341/528 of the projected IIs for this cycle have gone out (91/176 IS, 250/352 OOS). The actual tracker on their website says 354, though. But yeah, half of a lot of schools' IIs have gone out.

studentdocftw

M4
2+ Year Member
Apr 30, 2015
Status
Medical Student
Didn't even know interview trackers were a thing...which other schools divulge this information?

Spector1

Orbis non Sufficit
5+ Year Member
Jun 29, 2011
Status
Pre-Medical
yeah probably. It sucks

whitemagic

2+ Year Member
Mar 18, 2015
Status
Medical Student
Is this really surprising to anybody? I mean, we're almost into October. Did you guys expect 20% of the interviews to be given out at this point?

Reactions: ivorypearls
About the Ads

gonnif

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
Non-Student
Michigan is the only one that I know of

With several adcoms on here, threads from previous years, comments from adcoms at conferences previously, and current data from some schools, I think it is reasonable to conclude that by the end of September, the majority of schools will have 50% interview of their slots assigned. This will of course vary by school but on average this is about right.

However, I refer to this as a "Microsoft fact:" Completely true and utterly useless. It is a fact that cannot be changed, take action upon, or do anything else.

OP
N

nh278

5+ Year Member
Aug 16, 2014
Status
Medical Student
well, this thread certainly is depressing....didn't realize just how slim my chances of getting an II are getting

aesculapian

7+ Year Member
Mar 29, 2010
Status
Medical Student
At this point, how long after an application is marked as complete will it take for it to be reviewed for an II?

gonnif

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
Non-Student
At this point, how long after an application is marked as complete will it take for it to be reviewed for an II?
Varies completely by school, their specific process, and their backlog.

Goro

Gold Donor
7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
Nope...it's a much longer cycle.

We know that most people are applying to MD schools first, and go for DO when they're shut out. We don't take it personally.

@Goro this is not correct for DO interviews correct?

About the Ads