are harvard med students happy?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

isobel

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
is HMS that great? i live in boston and want to stay, so it seems like harvard should be my dream school, but i'm not sure it's everything it's cracked up to be. one of the fellows i work with is a tutor for a small group session for first years and she said that they were freaking out before their exams about how they get NO guidance on what to study, no textbooks, and no lectures for some classes. i hate PBL and i figured i could deal with it for a few classes, but these kids made it sound like it was totally awful and they were left to teach themselves. is it really that bad? my boss was also talking about how they like to use the socratic method of teaching over there, and from how he described it, i think i'd go nuts.

not that i even have an interview...

Members don't see this ad.

I think all med students are going to be stressed out before exams... They don't have a crazy attrition rate, so it can't be that bad. Go ahead and apply; I think if you get in your happiness about that will carry you through the stress of the first month or two...

Are you talking about Pathway or HST? I think for most people HST might be a little too intense. Pathway isn't supposed to be too bad according to what my friends have said. It's what you make of it I suppose.