Are high school science teachers medical school rejects?

I am the Walrus

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
For example I go major in biology so i can become a doctor, I realize I am not smart enough and I hate biology. Most jobs in science are crappy tech jobs. So i enroll in teachers college to become a science teacher which makes around 50k a year and has a lot more job security then lab technician research jobs.

Agree anyone?

At my high school, all the science teachers had high hopes but weren't good enough to get into medical school =P

Members don't see this ad.

Did it ever occur to you that not everyone wants to be a doctor? There are many life science majors who love research and just want the PhD. The problem is that prospects for life science PhDs are absolutely abysmal, so those who run out of time with postdoc positions are forced to take whatever they can get, such as high school teacher.

Members don't see this ad :)
You prove my point 100%

At my high school we have 2 science teachers who had PhD's

1 had a biology phd and the other had a chemistry phd

LOLOLO don't major in science

period.

:laugh::laugh:

You prove my point 100%

period.

That has nothing to do with being a medical school reject though. Those two could have become doctors, nurses, PAs, Pathology Assistants, etc. To them, however, all those careers pale in comparison to having fundamental questions about the universe and feeling a burning need to answer those questions. You wouldn't understand unless you've actually pursued or seriously considered getting a PhD.

But yes, if you get a PhD in the sciences for the employment prospects, you're doing it wrong.

You prove my point 100%

period.

Don't major in science? You can't be serious, right? Degrees in biochemistry, pharmacology, toxicology, genetics, and a whole host of other sciences can open doors to jobs that are quite good if med school plans fall out. Why most premeds still choose to major in just biology is beyond me.

Don't major in science? You can't be serious, right? Degrees in biochemistry, pharmacology, toxicology, genetics, and a whole host of other sciences can open doors to jobs that are quite good if med school plans fall out. Why most premeds still choose to major in just biology is beyond me.

not much difference between biology, genetics, and biochemistry majors anyway...

Last edited:

What?

you mean like 20-30k minimum wage lab jobs?
All that money for 50k in debt and 4-5 years of undergrad...
You're better of in a trade =D

LOL are you serious?

That's why I'm majoring in medical laboratory science or nursing =D

Following your passion bad advice imo

SDN is full of trolls and idiots and oftentimes it is difficult to distinguish between the two.

For example I go major in biology so i can become a doctor, I realize I am not smart enough and I hate biology. Most jobs in science are crappy tech jobs. So i enroll in teachers college to become a science teacher which makes around 50k a year and has a lot more job security then lab technician research jobs.

Agree anyone?

At my high school, all the science teachers had high hopes but weren't good enough to get into medical school =P

For some reason, I don't find that funny at all :(...perhaps you could chalk it up to empathy. :shrug:

What?

LOL are you serious?

Almost all of the students in my major that are graduating this year already have job offers with starting salaries at $60k+. That's hardly minimum wage.

Members don't see this ad :)
What?

LOL are you serious?

You're an idiot. I graduated with a chem major and was doing clinical research making 60k STARTING. The other people with a masters were making 70-80. From there I could have worked my way up to a position making over 100k in the company. Did you forget about the entire pharmaceutical industry?

I was also considering going into teaching at one point because of summers off and working with kids, which I enjoy doing.

What?

LOL are you serious?

As someone who worked as a (licensed and ASCP cert) clinical lab technologist for 5 years before med school, I can assure you that most clinical lab jobs pay NOTHING. And there is little to no upward mobility.

Why dont you focus on your undergrad classes before bashing individuals who are older and more accomplished than you. There is WAYYYYYYYYYY more to life than med school. And not everyone's goal is to be a physician.

Lets hope this isn't you in a few years...It is really easy to be cocky when you are young, but I would refrain from talking crap until you have at least taken organic. No those little AP classes don't count.

I don't know if it's necessarily cocky; OP was just making a generalization. Perhaps OP won't be "good enough" either, who knows?

Strong misc presence. Mirin Avi. Dat u zyzz brah?

Pls respond.

Brah we all have a little zyzz in us

Wow you've been posting on these threads for like 5 years and you still didn't get into med?

sad.

BTW

I like that list of medical documentaries that you created.

Wow Uve been alive for 17 years and don't know how to create a decent troll thread?

omfg this isn't even a troll thread.

also how old are you, it appears that you are still in high school just like me =P

I have been a high school science teacher for longer than you have been alive. I have enjoyed my time enriching young people, most of the time. Every now and then I have wondered what would have happened if I would have made other choices when I was younger. Now I am about to find out.

I was a biology major. I got my teaching certificate (MS in Education, science emphasis), and taught high school; mainly chemistry and physics. Now I am finishing up my last year as a teacher and have been accepted to medical school starting in August.

Before you critique those that have taught you, just pretend for a moment that those people may be doing what they do because they WANT TO BE THERE. There is something satisfying about helping someone learn something new. Often times, students are appreciative of the time that teachers give them (unlike the OP seems to be).

I don't know where you are thinking of teaching, but where I am at starting public school teachers make closer to $36k per year. I have been doing this for nearly two decades, and I am at the top of my district's pay scale and I am still not over $60k. Teaching is not "easy money" either. With the new guidelines that are coming out it is getting more and more difficult to teach. Furthermore, my district is in "reduction in force" mode, so they are laying off teachers, again, for the third year in a row. Class sizes go up, resources go down, little bratty students act like they know more than the teachers (sounds like the OP).

IMO, OP is being a troll. He should get off the computer and go get a job. Maybe he will learn some respect for those that are trying to educate him.

dsoz

Agree anyone?

By your logic, all MD doctors are MD/PhD rejects.

Seriously, don't judge what people want to do in life. I have friends now who have planned to become a high school teacher for awhile now. They truly love educating young minds.

As long as one is HAPPY, then that's success.

This is the most autistic thread I have ever read on SDN.

I lol'd.

SDN is full of trolls and idiots and oftentimes it is difficult to distinguish between the two.

I have been a high school science teacher for longer than you have been alive. I have enjoyed my time enriching young people, most of the time. Every now and then I have wondered what would have happened if I would have made other choices when I was younger. Now I am about to find out.

I was a biology major. I got my teaching certificate (MS in Education, science emphasis), and taught high school; mainly chemistry and physics. Now I am finishing up my last year as a teacher and have been accepted to medical school starting in August.

Before you critique those that have taught you, just pretend for a moment that those people may be doing what they do because they WANT TO BE THERE. There is something satisfying about helping someone learn something new. Often times, students are appreciative of the time that teachers give them (unlike the OP seems to be).

I don't know where you are thinking of teaching, but where I am at starting public school teachers make closer to $36k per year. I have been doing this for nearly two decades, and I am at the top of my district's pay scale and I am still not over $60k. Teaching is not "easy money" either. With the new guidelines that are coming out it is getting more and more difficult to teach. Furthermore, my district is in "reduction in force" mode, so they are laying off teachers, again, for the third year in a row. Class sizes go up, resources go down, little bratty students act like they know more than the teachers (sounds like the OP).

IMO, OP is being a troll. He should get off the computer and go get a job. Maybe he will learn some respect for those that are trying to educate him.

dsoz

Solid post.

Whoa!

I'm not bashing the teachers who wanted to go into teaching so they can help young minds

I'm making fun of the biology grads who couldn't get into medical school or hates lab work and decided to go into teaching because they can't get another job.

<.<

tumblr_me9y94T3Cd1rt90fho1_500.gif

Whoa!

I'm not bashing the teachers who wanted to go into teaching so they can help young minds

I'm making fun of the biology grads who couldn't get into medical school or hates lab work and decided to go into teaching because they can't get another job.

<.<

I sincerely hope you do amazing in college and make it into med school rather than flame out in a terrific display of hubris-related failure.

I can't help but notice OP has H.SDN member and alumni badges and yet joined in January 2013. I'm guessing that means he just graduated high school this month and has yet to enter college.

OP, you really shouldn't be acting like you're already in med school when you haven't even taken orgo yet, much less intro bio. You are aware that 92% of freshman pre-meds never make it to medical school, right? Even if you get past the pre-reqs, there's still the MCAT to contend with. Many applicants drop out there simply for getting an average score on the test. And of the people who continue on past the MCAT to apply to med school, 50% still get rejected.

I can't tell you how many kids I knew in college who started out as egotistical pre-meds like OP, only to wind up as English majors sophomore year (don't know why it was always English; I guess they wanted to get as far away from the bad memories of science as possible). I knew some people who didn't give up until senior year. One guy I knew had only second semester of physics left before he decided it wasn't going to happen.

Maybe a bit off topic, but there's a retired M.D teaching high school science in my county. He has really fascinating stories and apparently he loves what he's doing.

Agree anyone?

Because they want to. Nice superiority complex there OP. /thread

In preallo, they are one and the same.

Brah we all have a little zyzz in us

Wow Uve been alive for 17 years and don't know how to create a decent troll thread?

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

dsoz

As always, you are truly one of the best SDNers of all time. I really appreciate you for having the patience to put up with the poor OP suffering from the Arrogant Premed Syndrome.

Hence that's where rejected high school teacher comes from.

Finish high school bro and at least try to get into college. Then we'll listen.

I'm 12 and what is this

I'm only 5 years old. I start elementary school in September, and I'm super scared.

Agree anyone?

The person who majors in biology despite hating it is an idiot first of all.

Second, this might be shocking to people, but there are people who prefer to be teachers than spend their life in medicine.

Third, those high school teachers are smarter than YOU as of right now, so respect them elders :)