are histology/physiology textbooks really necessary?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oompa loompa

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
You always hear debates about which anatomy atlases and which version of Moore to buy, but what about the textbooks for physiology and histology class?

"Required" for my physiology and histology classes:

Physiology by Berne and Levy, 5th ed (2203)
Basic Histology, 11th ed (Junquiera and Carneiro 2005)
Wheater's functional histology, Young, Lowe, Stevens (5th ed) 2006

Shoudl I buy all of there/ Is it OK to get older editions?

Members don't see this ad.

It depends on your courses. That Histology book you're mentioning is really good though, it goes very well with the LANGE review for histology.

Berne and Levy is a very heavy-handed text that most physiology PhD candidates at my school use. I liked having a physiology text to refer to, but I would suggest checking out Costanzo's Phys. text or Guyton and Hall . Personally, I found the Costanzo easier to read and more succinct-- perfect for your typical busy med student.

As for histology, I liked having the Wheater's atlas around, and made do with an older edition with no problems. Not sure about the Basic Histology text you mentioned, but you might want to see how complete the course notes are before you pick up a larger textbook like that.

Members don't see this ad :)
oompa loompa said:
You always hear debates about which anatomy atlases and which version of Moore to buy, but what about the textbooks for physiology and histology class?

Hi there,
Most medical schools have copies of "required" texts on reserve in the library. See how you do as you go along and use the reserve copies as you need them. You are probably never going to use a physiology text book after first and second year. It will just sit on your shelf and be something that will be difficult to unload.

Even the histology texts are pretty useless unless and are likely on reserve too.

njbmd :)

I used the Basic Histology, 11th ed (Junquiera and Carneiro 2005) but found it to be too in-depth for the exams that we have at my school. (I think Junquiera is now available online too!)

I would go with NJBMD's advice as my library had all these books on reserve. I thought physiology was one of the easier courses at our school so I didn't even bother with a book. We took histology at a different time (you take them together??) and while it was a bit more challenging, it still didn't require too much work or additional sources!

oompa loompa said:

Don't listen to the nerds on here. DO NOT BUY ANY TEXTBOOKS FOR MEDICAL SCHOOL.

You will only need lab manuals and board review books. Throw away your required textbooks list.

Wheater's is an EXCELLENT atlas.

i have to add my vote for Costanzo's physio textbook, as DoctorFunk did. I think you really want to nail this class; it will help for path and pathophys. The book is a pretty easy read compared to Guyton and other recommended physio texts, and only a bit more expensive than the BRS physio (also by Costanzo).

nasdr said:
i have to add my vote for Costanzo's physio textbook, as DoctorFunk did. I think you really want to nail this class; it will help for path and pathophys. The book is a pretty easy read compared to Guyton and other recommended physio texts, and only a bit more expensive than the BRS physio (also by Costanzo).

All you need is the BRS Constanzo.

The actual textbook is nothing more than an expensive doorstop or coffee table.

DoctorFunk said:
As for histology, I liked having the Wheater's atlas around

Agree with this -- you largely need to study histology by looking at pictures, not reading texts.
I tend to agree with OSUdoc here -- unless your course note-set and lecture notes are seriously lacking, you will have plenty to look at as primary material without breaking open a textbook, so use a board review type book as your secondary resource.