Are iPads necessary for medical school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DK2014

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I was just wondering, how many of you plan on purchasing an iPad before you begin school?

For current students, are iPads essential for medschool, and how do you use them, say in class, in clinic, or when you study?

Any comments on the use of iPads and medschool is welcome!

Members don't see this ad.

Necessary? No. Incredibly vital and beyond helpful? Yes.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm still stuck between getting an ipad and getting a surface pro 2. Can anyone give some input on this?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm still stuck between getting an ipad and getting a surface pro 2. Can anyone give some input on this?
I would suggest the latter for versatility. I love my iPad, but there are some things it's just not designed to do.

In what world is vital not a synonym for necessary?

You can live without it. You don't need an ipad. You can take notes with a $100 netbook. But it sure helps a lot, especially in that it's very portable in your white coat pocket.

You can live without it. You don't need an ipad. You can take notes with a $100 netbook. But it sure helps a lot, especially in that it's very portable in your white coat pocket.
Thank you for your vacuous post, but you didn't address my question - which, by the way, was more rhetorical than anything.

Reactions: 2 users
Why do you need an ipad in a clinical setting? Can't you just use a smartphone to look things up? And phones are even more portable than ipads.

Also, I personally just prefer to just read from multiple sources as studying. I think just typing notes on the powerpoints is sufficient. Taking notes simply would take too long.

Maybe in the same world that you got a 42 on the MCAT?

Wow you are really jealous of me, aren't you? Oh well. It's lonely at the top.

Reactions: 4 users
I bought an iPad before I started last year, and literally have never used it for school. I do just about everything on my laptop. I have a roommate who uses his iPad constantly though... it's really just a matter of preference.

I bought an iPad before I started last year, and literally have never used it for school. I do just about everything on my laptop. I have a roommate who uses his iPad constantly though... it's really just a matter of preference.
Can I have it?

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I took notes by hand throughout undergrad, but I'm looking into an iPad for when classes start in the fall. I'm currently obsessing over stylus's (styli?) and which program to use to annotate PP's and PDF's...

Everything comes down to personal preference. I personally prefer an iPad because I like to write directly on my syllabi and it's nice having them all on one device instead of needing to carry stacks of paper around all the time. Also, searchable PDFs are not something to overlook, it makes it so much easier to find a topic in an 800 page syllabus. I also know people that prefer to type their notes. You'll find in med school the vast majority of the information is already written in the syllabus/on the slides, so the speed advantage that typing has doesn't come into play much because you are really just making small annotations and highlighting emphasized topics, as opposed to writing down every word the professor says.

iPads aren't the only option, however I've found the apps for annotating PDFs are much more usable than the alternatives on the surface pro (onenote is absolutely awful for importing PDF files). Notability and GoodNotes are two great apps for the iPad, although I prefer GoodNotes. As far as styluses go, I use one with a microfiber cloth tip (search truglide on amazon). I've found it moves across the screen much more smoothly than a rubber tip. Also, I don't recommend using a screen protector if you are going to write on an iPad, as it makes the writing experience pretty unpleasant.

Whats the take on laptops?

Keep it light and simple? I'm a PC guy leaning toward an ultrabook

But the Macs are so pretty...

The schools I'm deciding between all include iPads as a part of the cost of attendance/have 'iPad curriculums'.

I englishes bad. You got the idea of the post, however. Notice how that works?
Yeah. Actually, I just saw that you are a "typical Canadian." Do most Canadians "englishes bad"?

Do most med students use the old fashioned pen and paper to take notes? I'm embarrassed to ask, but I'm not that tech savy. I would use my ipad/laptop, but I prefer taking down notes on paper.

I just don't want to be Elle Woods on the first day of class. o_O:rolleyes:

tumblr_mfvsebpt551qan6zuo1_500.gif

Reactions: 6 users
I still take hand notes. I don't like typing my notes and stylus technology isn't good enough yet. The only downside is I use about 500 sheets of paper a month

I still take hand notes. I don't like typing my notes and stylus technology isn't good enough yet. The only downside is I use about 500 sheets of paper a month

I love to write. Pen and paper does something for me that stylus and screen cannot.

Question: The 500 sheets of paper a month, is that of your own note taking? Not just annotating on a slide handout?

Thank you for your vacuous post, but you didn't address my question - which, by the way, was more rhetorical than anything.

Part of the beauty of language is interpreting meaning even when the syntax is imperfect. You're being pedantic which is rather unbecoming.

Are iPads necessary? ....Noobie Please. :eyebrow:
No they are not.

iPads don't fit in white coat pockets. The minis do, but not the full iPad. I like to have my iPad around to do things during downtime and be able to access my repository of journal articles when there isn't a computer available, but otherwise, it's not all that useful.

YMMV, though. If you're the type who loves to take notes with a stylus, go for it.

Nope, I keep it next to the ridiculously expensive ophthalmoscope they made me buy that I've also never used.
Fine. Whenever you need a wingman, it won't happen. :nono: :p

Reactions: 1 users
Part of the beauty of language is interpreting meaning even when the syntax is imperfect. You're being pedantic which is rather unbecoming.
Wow. Okay. I normally wouldn't do this, but because this is a pre-med forum, I feel the need the clarify that what you just said is totally inaccurate. I don't want some students to learn inaccurate information while browsing this forum.

Syntax is, basically, how words are used.
Semantics, on the other hand, refers to the meaning of words.

You should try using dictionary.com the next time you are unsure about a word's meaning. It's really a great tool, especially if you are trying to use thesaurus.com in order to sound smart by looking up words that you don't know the meaning of.

If you don't understand a definition (for example if the definition is too hard for you to understand), you can feel free to ask me. I'd be happy to help.

I love to write. Pen and paper does something for me that stylus and screen cannot.

Question: The 500 sheets of paper a month, is that of your own note taking? Not just annotating on a slide handout?

I print out lecture slides and take notes on them, also I print out outline form notes that were provided by last years class and also write extra notes on them. This helps me get everything I need to know in one spot.

Everyone has different methods of note taking though. I'm guessing most aren't as paper inefficient as mine though :penguin:

Do most med students use the old fashioned pen and paper to take notes? I'm embarrassed to ask, but I'm not that tech savy. I would use my ipad/laptop, but I prefer taking down notes on paper.

View attachment 179596

Everyone is different, but if I had to think of the most popular approach it would be taking handwritten notes on the printed syllabus provided by the school.

Wow. Okay. I normally wouldn't do this, but because this is a pre-med forum, I feel the need the clarify that what you just said is totally inaccurate. I don't want some students to learn inaccurate information while browsing this forum.

Syntax is, basically, how words are used.
Semantics, on the other hand, refers to the meaning of words.

You should try using dictionary.com the next time you are unsure about a word's meaning. It's really a great tool, especially if you are trying to use thesaurus.com in order to sound smart by looking up words that you don't know the meaning of.

If you don't understand a definition (for example if the definition is too hard for you to understand), you can feel free to ask me. I'd be happy to help.

lulz
yeah you seem like the kind of person that normally doesn't do that

I love the concept of using the iPad to annotate my slides and reading assignments, but in my experience, the stylus is just too fat. In other words, stylus-made handwriting is too thick and bulky. I like how with a pen or mechanical pencil, I can write with 0.5mm width.

Are there other tablets that offer styluses that feel less clunky and thick?

I got one for school and pretty much only use it for doing flashcards when I'm ignoring teachers at rare required lectures. The upside is that it's easier to angle the screen so other people can't see.

I think it's pretty well split between notes on technology and notes on paper. At my program, all the material is in the syllabus, so I just annotate my notes over it. I don't think I ever used a computer in class over two years and I did perfectly fine. There are computers all over the hospital for doing documentation and doing a bit of reading, so I never felt the need to get a small tablet. I suppose it could've been useful for looking up lab values on the fly on rounds and throwing orders in when there aren't any wheeled computers around, but the EMR we have is a pain to use on a tablet because it's not designed for a touchscreen.

I think it's pretty well split between notes on technology and notes on paper. At my program, all the material is in the syllabus, so I just annotate my notes over it. I don't think I ever used a computer in class over two years and I did perfectly fine. There are computers all over the hospital for doing documentation and doing a bit of reading, so I never felt the need to get a small tablet. I suppose it could've been useful for looking up lab values on the fly on rounds and throwing orders in when there aren't any wheeled computers around, but the EMR we have is a pain to use on a tablet because it's not designed for a touchscreen.
I never got why this happened. The hospital I volunteer at pays a MASSIVE amount for their EMR software. That said, it's absolutely horrid to use. Very unresponsive. It makes me question if there's some non-compete clause or something I am missing that ropes them in to such an antiquated system.

I never got why this happened. The hospital I volunteer at pays a MASSIVE amount for their EMR software. That said, it's absolutely horrid to use. Very unresponsive. It makes me question if there's some non-compete clause or something I am missing that ropes them in to such an antiquated system.

The EMRs that we have to date are not designed to make providers' lives easier. They are designed to meeting billing requirements so that one can extract the highest billing possible (thus the point-and-click H&P). There are all kinds of idiosyncrasies that arise when no one consults a large proportion of the end users.

The EMRs that we have to date are not designed to make providers' lives easier. They are designed to meeting billing requirements so that one can extract the highest billing possible (thus the point-and-click H&P). There are all kinds of idiosyncrasies that arise when no one consults a large proportion of the end users.
Interesting. Saddening, but interesting. Thanks for the insight!

Interesting. Saddening, but interesting. Thanks for the insight!

If you ever have a fortune to look at the tables which are sometimes in the outpatient clinic rooms, you'll find it outlining the number of items, problems, systems reviewed on review of systems, systems examined on physical exam, and problems assessed/level of decision making to hit each level of billing as an outpatient. Level 5 visits anyone?