1. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. This forum is for support and discussion only. Please promote test prep materials/services (including AMAs) in the Special Offers subforum only. Thanks!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Are Kaplan FL Practice Test Scores Skewed?

Discussion in 'MCAT: Medical College Admissions Test' started by osumc2014, Dec 21, 2008.

1. osumc2014

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I was just wondering if Kaplan practice Test scores are accurate or do they grade much easier and give much higher scores? Because I compared it with EK grading scales and EK is much more difficult while Kaplan seemed real lenient. I just wanted to make sure that Kaplan isn't just giving me feel good scores when I am still getting a large portion of the Practice Test wrong.

2. 229141

Pre-Medical
    Well...for VR tests Kaplan does 100% is a 15, missing one is a 14, miss 2 is a 13, etc. So for VR I would say Kaplan is fine. Biology seems a little lenient but nothing too bad...I score 13's on the BS section which seems a little ridiculous but oh well.

Their PS is whats screwed. It said you could miss 11 questions and still get a 15!? A 50% was a 10 I think haha...what the hell?

3. junkct

5+ Year Member

Well, the tests are harder as well. I was told that Kaplan bases their curves on all the students that have taken each test, so while your scores are higher, the tests are being curved in the same fashion as the AAMC or EK tests.

Theoretically, if you are missing 10 questions and getting a 13 on kaplan, you SHOULD be missing 5 questions and getting a 13 on AAMC as well. Personally, my kaplan scores are matching up pretty well with my AAMC scores (at least in the sciences), even though I'm missing a lot more questions in kaplan than in aamc.

4. 229141

Pre-Medical
    How are your VR scores matching up? I've been getting 13 on Kaplans but I just ran across a thread saying Kaplan is too easy on VR. To get 13's though I typically have to get 38/40 on Kaplan!!..doesn't seem too easy to me lol

5. J ROD

J ROD Watch my TAN walk!!
    Rocket Scientist Physician Pharmacist Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Kaplan verbal is bad. Use AAMC and EK Verbal 101 for it.

I think the Kaplan curve is too much. I would take a point off (12 to 11) or grade it with an AAMC scale.

6. junkct

5+ Year Member

yeah, I'm getting my fair share of 13's on kaplan's VR... but on AAMC I'm getting around a 10 average (even though I find the passages in AAMC a lot easier to read/comprehend)

7. futuredoctor10

Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I agree! Kaplans are graded with much nicer curves. They are harder exams as well but the curves are a little too generous, take one point off each section as JDUB suggests OR if you do not adjust scores try taking most of the Kaplans after AAMCs

8. Marjan Islam

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    wow, 13 on kaplan VR? I just seem to suck when it comes to the super dense passages. I just took kaplan FL2 and got a 8 on the VR. Those passages were killer!!