osumc2014

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 27, 2007
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I was just wondering if Kaplan practice Test scores are accurate or do they grade much easier and give much higher scores? Because I compared it with EK grading scales and EK is much more difficult while Kaplan seemed real lenient. I just wanted to make sure that Kaplan isn't just giving me feel good scores when I am still getting a large portion of the Practice Test wrong.

10+ Year Member
Oct 21, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
I was just wondering if Kaplan practice Test scores are accurate or do they grade much easier and give much higher scores? Because I compared it with EK grading scales and EK is much more difficult while Kaplan seemed real lenient. I just wanted to make sure that Kaplan isn't just giving me feel good scores when I am still getting a large portion of the Practice Test wrong.
Well...for VR tests Kaplan does 100% is a 15, missing one is a 14, miss 2 is a 13, etc. So for VR I would say Kaplan is fine. Biology seems a little lenient but nothing too bad...I score 13's on the BS section which seems a little ridiculous but oh well.

Their PS is whats screwed. It said you could miss 11 questions and still get a 15!? A 50% was a 10 I think haha...what the hell?

junkct

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 12, 2008
LA
Status
Well, the tests are harder as well. I was told that Kaplan bases their curves on all the students that have taken each test, so while your scores are higher, the tests are being curved in the same fashion as the AAMC or EK tests.

Theoretically, if you are missing 10 questions and getting a 13 on kaplan, you SHOULD be missing 5 questions and getting a 13 on AAMC as well. Personally, my kaplan scores are matching up pretty well with my AAMC scores (at least in the sciences), even though I'm missing a lot more questions in kaplan than in aamc.

About the Ads

10+ Year Member
Oct 21, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
Well, the tests are harder as well. I was told that Kaplan bases their curves on all the students that have taken each test, so while your scores are higher, the tests are being curved in the same fashion as the AAMC or EK tests.

Theoretically, if you are missing 10 questions and getting a 13 on kaplan, you SHOULD be missing 5 questions and getting a 13 on AAMC as well. Personally, my kaplan scores are matching up pretty well with my AAMC scores (at least in the sciences), even though I'm missing a lot more questions in kaplan than in aamc.
How are your VR scores matching up? I've been getting 13 on Kaplans but I just ran across a thread saying Kaplan is too easy on VR. To get 13's though I typically have to get 38/40 on Kaplan!!..doesn't seem too easy to me lol

junkct

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 12, 2008
LA
Status
How are your VR scores matching up? I've been getting 13 on Kaplans but I just ran across a thread saying Kaplan is too easy on VR. To get 13's though I typically have to get 38/40 on Kaplan!!..doesn't seem too easy to me lol
yeah, I'm getting my fair share of 13's on kaplan's VR... but on AAMC I'm getting around a 10 average (even though I find the passages in AAMC a lot easier to read/comprehend)

futuredoctor10

10+ Year Member
Jan 25, 2007
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I think the Kaplan curve is too much. I would take a point off (12 to 11) or grade it with an AAMC scale.
I agree! Kaplans are graded with much nicer curves. They are harder exams as well but the curves are a little too generous, take one point off each section as JDUB suggests OR if you do not adjust scores try taking most of the Kaplans after AAMCs

Marjan Islam

10+ Year Member
Oct 26, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
wow, 13 on kaplan VR? I just seem to suck when it comes to the super dense passages. I just took kaplan FL2 and got a 8 on the VR. Those passages were killer!!

About the Ads