Are labs necessary?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mam4993

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What do you guys think? I'm a non-science major who is planning on taking a bunch of extra science courses like biochem and histology and that sort of thing. Is it your opinion that I should take the labs too? I hate labs and rarely feel as though they're worth my time, so it's tempting to only take the lecture courses for my extra science classes (stuff like physics and organic I'll obviously take the labs for). I'm a little concerned that only taking the lecture will look bad, though. Whaddya think? Since they're not required for my major should I spend the time on them?

Members don't see this ad.

labs beyond what are required for prereqs are unnecessary, especially if you don't like labs and don't have fun. lectures in biochem, etc are more impressive.

Members don't see this ad :)
If it interests you - take the lab. Otherwise don't. They won't care too much.

If it interests you - take the lab. Otherwise don't. They won't care too much.

Um, I don't think so. Labs are in the prereqs (bio, chem, physics, orgo). You have to take the labs.

I don't understand. At least in the Canadian schools I know of, you have to take the laboratory portion of a class. I wish we didn't. =\

I don't understand. At least in the Canadian schools I know of, you have to take the laboratory portion of a class. I wish we didn't. =\

Most classes I've seen have the labs split up. The only exceptions are like A&P and Gen Chem.

As long as you take the labs for the prereqs, I don't think it really matters. However, since you will have labs in med school, I suggest you at least try one upper division lab. If you don't like it, then don't take any more.

My school combines the labs and lectures, so you have to take both at the same time, and you get one cumulative grade. I'm only now finding out that this isn't the norm as I fill out applications.

Um, I don't think so. Labs are in the prereqs (bio, chem, physics, orgo). You have to take the labs.

That's only for the pre-reqs. People who take additional science classes not part of the med school pre-reqs (General Bio, General Chem, Orgo, and Physics) aren't required to take the labs.

Most classes I've seen have the labs split up. The only exceptions are like A&P and Gen Chem.

At my school ALL labs are split up. Even A&P and Gen Chem. If you take the lecture, it's understood that you'll take the lab as well, but you can get a waiver for the lab.

MedStudentWanna said:
That's only for the pre-reqs. People who take additional science classes not part of the med school pre-reqs (General Bio, General Chem, Orgo, and Physics) aren't required to take the labs.

Yes, I know. That's what I said (labs are for prereqs). I was referring to alwaysaangel's post, which seemed to tell the OP to not take any labs if they didn't want to, which is not good.

What do you guys think? I'm a non-science major who is planning on taking a bunch of extra science courses like biochem and histology and that sort of thing. Is it your opinion that I should take the labs too? I hate labs and rarely feel as though they're worth my time, so it's tempting to only take the lecture courses for my extra science classes (stuff like physics and organic I'll obviously take the labs for). I'm a little concerned that only taking the lecture will look bad, though. Whaddya think? Since they're not required for my major should I spend the time on them?
As the previous posters said, the labs for pre-reqs are required. Some upper level courses require labs while others do not. It depends on the course and the university.

My school combines the labs and lectures, so you have to take both at the same time, and you get one cumulative grade. I'm only now finding out that this isn't the norm as I fill out applications.

Yeah, that's how it is here. It would be a joke to take all these classes without labs - no lab reports, no wasted three hours a week, ... =\

All our labs are split from the lecture, but when you start lecture, if you aren't signed up for a lab, they "strongly encourage" you to get into the lab. :rolleyes: