Are LOR needed for residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Luv2Dance

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I am an incoming MS-I at OUCOM this year and I am currently spending my summer volunteering at a local hospital in Holon, Israel. I am mostly doing this for myself but I am also aware that volunteering oveareas looks good on a resume. In this situation does anyone think I should ask for a LOR from one of the doctors here? I know LOR's were needed for medical schools but does the same rule apply for residency programs. Should I even be thinking that far ahead? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

LORs are definitely needed for residency, but they are generally expected to come from preceptors during your MS3 & early MS4 years.

Luv2Dance said:
Hi,
I am an incoming MS-I at OUCOM this year and I am currently spending my summer volunteering at a local hospital in Holon, Israel. I am mostly doing this for myself but I am also aware that volunteering oveareas looks good on a resume. In this situation does anyone think I should ask for a LOR from one of the doctors here? I know LOR's were needed for medical schools but does the same rule apply for residency programs. Should I even be thinking that far ahead? Thanks.

Just like applying for medical school, you will have to interview, submit LORs, have a Dean's letter, transcripts, etc., when you apply for your intership and or residency. I say work hard, stay alert in school, and don't kiss ass, while also asking as many questions as you can. And when the time comes to ask for LORs you shouldn't have a problem getting them.