metview

5+ Year Member
Feb 8, 2013
Status
If I assign a letter tomorrow, will it be immediately accessible by the program or is there some lag time for them to download it? thanks

mvenus929

10+ Year Member
Jul 6, 2006
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
1. There is no downloading.
2. LORs are reviewed by ERAs, and will be released about 5 days after they are uploaded. Assuming the letters have already been released, there will be no lag between then and when programs can view them.

Aug 29, 2017
Status
Medical Student
1. There is no downloading.
2. LORs are reviewed by ERAs, and will be released about 5 days after they are uploaded. Assuming the letters have already been released, there will be no lag between then and when programs can view them.
Do you mind expanding on that a bit? I thought our writers uploaded them to ERAS and they are available to assign to programs right away. Is that not the case?

Reactions: Champylobacter
About the Ads

mvenus929

10+ Year Member
Jul 6, 2006
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
Do you mind expanding on that a bit? I thought our writers uploaded them to ERAS and they are available to assign to programs right away. Is that not the case?
Nope. I'm not sure what goes into the review process, but I think they check to make sure the writer spelled your name correctly, whether it was specialty specific, etc. The letters are released about 5 days after they are uploaded.

I'm not 100% sure if you cannot assign the letters during this time--I didn't try because I was still before the application deadline. But they will not be viewable until released by ERAS.

Keladry

5+ Year Member
Mar 6, 2014
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Nope. I'm not sure what goes into the review process, but I think they check to make sure the writer spelled your name correctly, whether it was specialty specific, etc. The letters are released about 5 days after they are uploaded.

I'm not 100% sure if you cannot assign the letters during this time--I didn't try because I was still before the application deadline. But they will not be viewable until released by ERAS.
I don't think that's true - one of my letter writers texted me to say he was uploading my letter, and 5 minutes later ERAS emailed me saying it was ready to be assigned.

mvenus929

10+ Year Member
Jul 6, 2006
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
I don't think that's true - one of my letter writers texted me to say he was uploading my letter, and 5 minutes later ERAS emailed me saying it was ready to be assigned.
Maybe they've improved the process since July, but I had a 5 day lag with my letters.

Keladry

5+ Year Member
Mar 6, 2014
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Maybe they've improved the process since July, but I had a 5 day lag with my letters.
That's possible - this was September 14, and that was the only one where the writer told me when they uploaded it.

About the Ads