Are loupes provided in the Navy?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

coolleoboy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Im a second year HPSP dental student. Since loupes are not required at my school, I don't expect the Navy to reimburse them if I buy them. So I have been postponing buying them. I just wonder when I start working at the Navy, will they provide them?
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I cannot answer this as I am just about to start at my first clinic and haven't found the answer yet. But, I can say your choice not to purchase now is not the wisest. You may be able to get away without loupes and even see faculty who don't use them. But, why not use them when they are very helpful. They allow you to see things you may very well overlook without loupes. Plus, when comes to licensure exams, you can bet the examiners will be wearing them. Having loupes are a win/ win situation. You are only making things more difficult on yourself and poteniallyaffecting your patients since using loupes is standard equipment used by dentists today.

Don't be cheap - buy loupes!

Last edited by a moderator:
The Navy has contracts with manufacturers like Orascoptic - their rep will come around occasionally, measure people for loupes, and then the command will purchase them. They can be checked in and out of each command you're at and then when you retire/seperate they will take them back.

Members don't see this ad :)
If your school required them or if you can get the school to sign off that they are required or necessary, then the Navy reimburses up to $1400 I believe.

If your school required them or if you can get the school to sign off that they are required or necessary, then the Navy reimburses up to $1400 I believe.

Does this pertain to HPSP only? I'm HSCP, still early in school, and just purchased my own loupes....just curious if anyone has any experience getting any kind of reimbursement as HSCP? I would assume no, but figured I'd at least ask.

Does this pertain to HPSP only? I'm HSCP, still early in school, and just purchased my own loupes....just curious if anyone has any experience getting any kind of reimbursement as HSCP? I would assume no, but figured I'd at least ask.

I know with 100% certainty that those individuals on the HSCP cannot get reimbursed for loupes even if a school requires them.