Are Magoosh math problems harder than what is actually on the GRE?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psychgirl44

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm using Magoosh to study for the GRE, and while I do great with the easy and medium questions, I struggle with a lot of the "hard" or "very hard" questions. I've heard that the math practice problems on Magoosh tend to be harder than what's actually on the test. Is this true?

Members don't see this ad.

After reading a lot of posts on the GRE subreddit, I found that many people found the Magoosh and Mahattan Prep 5lb quant problems helpful in solidifying their math knowledge. But definitely do not recommend them for verbal - would stick to only the official ETS material for that.

Magoosh Math problems are pretty accurate and really good prep for the exam. The first Quant section I took was easy and was comparable to Magoosh medium to hard questions, whereas the second Quant section got really hard though and was comparable to Magoosh very hard and even harder than that for some questions, unlike anything I had come across in any of the prep material I had been using to study. I even thought it might be an experimental section given how difficult the questions were and kind of blew it off and ended up getting a 157 Q. This score is significantly better than the practice test results I got on Magoosh though.