Are mast cells antibody specific?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

johnwandering

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm wondering because they don't really seem to have to be antibody specific.

Also, I am confused about one concept. According to acquired immunity, a low level of antibodies are always in circulation in the blood.

Doesn't this mean that Mast Cells are always binding to these antibodies? What stops them from driving the body Haywire?

Members don't see this ad.

IgE is antigen specific. IgE binds mast cells. Allergen binds the IgE causing degranulation, histamine release, inflammation...

If sensitization does not occur then there is no allergic reaction, but if sensitization occurs there is the opportunity for more Ag-specific IgE to be present when exposure to that Ag occurs again. This is how it is possible to have a mild reaction at one exposure and then progressively worse reactions at subsequent exposures.

I have no idea what the guy above me said, but...(lol)

I thought that, though mast cells bind to the free antibodies, that they won't make any kind of commotion or release any inlammation agents unless they also bind to a specific antigen.

So

mast cell + antibody= chillin

mast cell + antibody + antigen = haywire

If anyone else has any other insight, preferably in simpler terms than the guy above, that would be great lol.

If anyone else has any other insight, preferably in simpler terms than the guy above, that would be great lol.

Are mast cells antibody specific?
The binding of the antibody to the antigen IS specific. That antibody-antigen complex then binds the mast cell. This IS NOT specific.

According to acquired immunity, a low level of antibodies are always in circulation in the blood.
In this case the antibody is an immunoglobulin E (IgE).
There is not much IgE circulating normally, IgE normally occurs in the least amounts when compared with other immunoglubulins. This is a good thing since it is a powerful trigger for inflammation. The body is not normally going haywire because there is not much IgE (the antibody) to go around.

Doesn't this mean that Mast Cells are always binding to these antibodies? What stops them from driving the body Haywire?

IgE production is ramped up if a person is sensitized (allergic). When sensitization occurs a large amount of IgE can be made in the body and can circulate. More binding => going haywire. (The reaction can get worse after multiple exposures.)