Are Mechanical Pencils OK to use on MCATs?

About the Ads

JDAD

1K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 7, 2003
    I you have used the pencil on a normal scantron, it should work. I have used mechanical pencils for years and I have never had a problem with any scantron.

Of course, this is the AAMC that we are talking about, they could use a totally different system with the intention of screwing anyone who doesn't comply with the "#2 pencils" instead of the "#2 lead" instructions.

Has anyone ever had a proctor who wouldn't allow mechanical pencils?

dan0909

10+ Year Member
    15+ Year Member
    Oct 11, 2002
      Here's something to consider. The bubble sheets for the MCAT aren't the little rectangles that you get at your school bookstore. Rather, they're those semi-big bubbles that you have to color in. So, if you do use a mechanical pencil, it will take at least 3-4 seconds longer to carefully fill in your bubble. With about 60 questions, that equates to between 3 and 4 minutes, which can easily be the difference between a 10 and 11. So, just bring a lot of pencils so you can keep your options open.

MeowMix

Explaining "Post-Call"
      10+ Year Member
      15+ Year Member
      Jan 6, 2003
      1. Attending Physician
        Originally posted by dan0909
        Here's something to consider. The bubble sheets for the MCAT aren't the little rectangles that you get at your school bookstore. Rather, they're those semi-big bubbles that you have to color in. So, if you do use a mechanical pencil, it will take at least 3-4 seconds longer to carefully fill in your bubble. With about 60 questions, that equates to between 3 and 4 minutes, which can easily be the difference between a 10 and 11. So, just bring a lot of pencils so you can keep your options open.

:laugh: 3 to 4 minutes?

group_theory

EX-TER-MIN-ATE!'
        Staff member
        Administrator
        Volunteer Staff
        Verified Expert
        15+ Year Member
        Gold Member
        Oct 2, 2002
        1. Attending Physician
          I gave up on regular pencils all the way back in middle school

have been using mechanical pencils ever since - for scan trons, SATs, SAT IIs, APs, med school exams, and yes, even on my MCAT

If you have been using them for a long time, you should know how much pressure to put on when writing (or filling in bubble) so it shouldn't break that many times

Besides, if you've been filling bubbles your entire life w/ a mechanical pencil, the larger bubbles on MCAT won't be a problem - it's actually nice, prevent stray marks from going to the next bubble :)

and they don't make much noise either - besides, you should be concentrating on your test, not on some faint noise from a mechanical pencil. The only noise from the pencil will be at the beginning when you try to get the lead to come out

just bring extra lead, an extra "regular" pencil, and erasers just in case :)

P.S. I use 0.5mm lead ;)

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
          2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
          5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
          6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          7. This thread is locked.