are medical school rankings over-rated ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

are medical school rankings over-rated

• yes

Votes: 35 68.6%
  • no

Votes: 10 19.6%
  • not sure

Votes: 6 11.8%

• Total voters

abracadabraone

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
please state your opinion...

Members don't see this ad.

I dislike any form of generic, subjective ranking system. Instead I would rather see a table of various metrics for each school (like tuition, NIH $, student:faculty, class size, etc) such as the one listed in the US News database. This way I can cherry pick a few criteria that are most important to me, while ignoring the other semi-arbitrary and often subjective categories.

Members don't see this ad :)
Rankings are overrated, I'm not saying that reputations aren't important but US News isn't some sort of definitive list of what medical schools are best. The way I've always seen it is this, there are a handful of schools that will REALLY make you stand out... lets say... Harvard, Hopkins, UCSF, Penn, Columbia, Duke.. so on. But beyond that, I don't really think that it matters THAT much. I cared about going somewhere that was well-established. It didn't need to necessarily be ranked super high, but I did care that it was school and program that directors will be familiar with come residency application time.

Are you a real person, OP?

You have started 14 threads that all follow the same robotic "here's a question to make you ponder" format... then you disappear into the night, never saying anything beyond the initial post.

"Abracadabra" *POOF*: you're gone until the next stimulus.

Yes, I believe they are overrated because they do not accurately represent the strengths and weaknesses of each individual school. I like Saggy Bottom's method better.

I think the rankings from US News (for example) offers some insight into how competitive a medical school is. However, like kpcrew2002 said I too would like to just get accepted into one. :D:xf: