are medical schools expecting that you will practice in this country?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

legobikes

bikes made of lego
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I mean, would it be negatively viewed if you voiced your desire to practice in another country once you are an MD? would an adcom think you're wasting their time by schooling here only to take up employment elsewhere?

Members don't see this ad.

legobikes said:
I mean, would it be negatively viewed if you voiced your desire to practice in another country once you are an MD? would an adcom think you're wasting their time by schooling here only to take up employment elsewhere?

i think when you get your MD, it's only applicable in american territories..
i know that you CAN use your MD in another country if the hospital is american..
not exactly sure how peace corp ties into this..

Members don't see this ad :)
legobikes said:

They may not like it.

legobikes said:
Some med schools even hope you will choose to practice within a particular state, let alone the whole contry. But yes, part of the reason that foreign students tend to have additional hurdles is that med school admissions are purportedly tied to the level of national need, and to the extent folks aren't serving that need it's a failure of mission. Of course things like Doctors without Borders, where you become a US doctor who also helps out elsewhere, are looked upon favorably.

legobikes said:
Two interpretations:

1. You're foreign born (or children of) and hope to take your MD back to you rcountry of origin: probably negative.

2. You're a U.S. citizen and hope to take your MD abroad for a few years working for NGOs, but like almost all, will return to US to practice for most of your life: positive to no impact.

legobikes said:

I personally wouldn't--especially if you are going to a state school that gives preference to in-state residents--they are expecting their tax dollars to be spent on kids that are going to stay in-state. I can think of a few schools in IL that are this way, and I am sure it is similar elsewhere. With private schools, I couldn't say. But I don't think that disclosing this fact would help to advance your candidacy and may even raise the red flag.

jackieMD2007 said:
I personally wouldn't--especially if you are going to a state school that gives preference to in-state residents--they are expecting their tax dollars to be spent on kids that are going to stay in-state. I can think of a few schools in IL that are this way, and I am sure it is similar elsewhere. With private schools, I couldn't say. But I don't think that disclosing this fact would help to advance your candidacy and may even raise the red flag.

I agree. I mean, not that there is anything wrong with wanting to practice in another country, I mean, they need doctors everywhere. But you have to look at it from the other side of the table... it's like you're trying to pick up a med school at a bar... no one's gonna take you home with them if they know ahead of time that you're gonna bolt in the morning... or something...