Are medical schools handing out more interview invites this cycle? (due to virtual interviews?)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

someonerandom

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
The question says it all. Basically, due to the ease of virtual interviews (and I assume less time/money spent by the school), are they sending out more II this cycle than usual? I fear this may skew our judgment on how we are actually doing this cycle based on the number of II, and maybe decrease WL movement?

Members don't see this ad.

One of the resources always in short supply is a cadre of faculty members to conduct the interviews. This is generally an unpaid "service" or is an add-on to one's paid employment as an Dean of Students, Dean for Education, Dean of Admissions, etc. Increasing the number of interviewed applicants means more time on the other end to review the files of the interviewed applicants. And, unless we are going to increase the number of seats, increasing the pool of interviewed candidates just means that the school will admit a smaller proportion of the interviewed pool which is very demoralizing to those very strong candidates placed on the waitlist and those of us who have to set aside even more good candidates than were set aside when the number of interviewed candidates was smaller. The only thing that is better here is that it might be a bit easier to screen and select for interview.... believe me when I tell you that selecting just one out of 5 or one out of 8 applicants is very, very hard.

• Love
Reactions: 20 users
One of the resources always in short supply is a cadre of faculty members to conduct the interviews. This is generally an unpaid "service" or is an add-on to one's paid employment as an Dean of Students, Dean for Education, Dean of Admissions, etc. Increasing the number of interviewed applicants means more time on the other end to review the files of the interviewed applicants. And, unless we are going to increase the number of seats, increasing the pool of interviewed candidates just means that the school will admit a smaller proportion of the interviewed pool which is very demoralizing to those very strong candidates placed on the waitlist and those of us who have to set aside even more good candidates than were set aside when the number of interviewed candidates was smaller. The only thing that is better here is that it might be a bit easier to screen and select for interview.... believe me when I tell you that selecting just one out of 5 or one out of 8 applicants is very, very hard.
I appreciate your quick repsonse! Thank you, that actually makes a lot of sense!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
The problem is that applicants are accepting more interviews because they don’t have to travel or miss as much work/school. But each applicant can only end up at one school. Usually there are waves of interview cancellations after October 15. I would doubt that this is the case this year.

In the school specific threads, I’ve legit seen people with 5 T20 interviews talking about attending a school ranked outside of top 75. Of course, I don’t blame them and would also do this if in this position. But this means schools are going to need to give out more interviews.

Last edited:
You can compare these 2 sheets (first is from 2019-20 cycle):

You will notice that many schools actually provided slightly fewer IIs than the previous cycle.

Reactions: 3 users

You will notice that many schools actually provided slightly fewer IIs than the previous cycle.

Are these legit numbers? So somebody with an interview of lets say Michigan had a 4/5 chance for an acceptance?

Is this why it seems like a Umich interview is somewhat more coveted on here than some other T20s?

The problem is that applicants are accepting more interviews because they don’t have to travel or miss as much work/school. But each applicant can only end up at one school. Usually there are waves of interview cancellations after October 15. I would doubt that this is the case this year.

In the school specific threads, I’ve legit seen people with 5 T20 interviews talking about attending a school ranked outside of top 75. Of course, I don’t blame them and would also do this if in this position. But this means schools are going to need to give out more interviews.
I think I was referring more to interview invitations, rather than interview attendance. I think what you are referring to will impact interview attendance (not necessarily how many invitations they hand out). But you bring up a very interesting point!

I’m not sure that this is completely accurate. At a info session I attended before my interview for a school they provided numbers for interviews and total number of acceptances this past cycle. I calculated that the Post-II A% was about 17% lower than the previous cycle...

that would be in line with the general theory that at least some schools sent more II’s last year due to COVID-19/virtual interviews.

I’m not sure that this is completely accurate. At a info session I attended before my interview for a school they provided numbers for interviews and total number of acceptances this past cycle. I calculated that the Post-II A% was about 17% lower than the previous cycle...

that would be in line with the general theory that at least some schools sent more II’s last year due to COVID-19/virtual interviews.
Couldn't that discrepancy be due to increased interview attendance, not necessarily interview invitations? It makes sense that the ultimate factor limiting the number of invites is the number of staff available, which of course is unaffected by virtual interviews.

Reactions: 1 users
Couldn't that discrepancy be due to increased interview attendance, not necessarily interview invitations? It makes sense that the ultimate factor limiting the number of invites is the number of staff available, which of course is unaffected by virtual interviews.
To clarify I’m just pointing out that the numbers on the spreadsheet for this particular school did not align with what was told to us.
also, it was a high ranked school, so Im not sure if the large discrepancy would be people not attending the interview day after paying the app fee and getting the interview.

I do agree with you that that the final limiting factor is likely what you mentioned.

I get that you're mentioning not having to travel for interviews, but why would someone turn down an interview this early in the game when MD schools don't start releasing decisions until on or after 10/15? It would only make sense to do every one up until you have an acceptance. At least that is the logic that is guiding me.

Members don't see this ad :)
I get that you're mentioning not having to travel for interviews, but why would someone turn down an interview this early in the game when MD schools don't start releasing decisions until on or after 10/15? It would only make sense to do every one up until you have an acceptance. At least that is the logic that is guiding me.
Many med schools are already booking into November. People who find out of the 15th would cancel pretty often after being accepted. But there has already been a few Reddit premed threads in which a large number of applicants said they would be attending all interviews regardless of acceptances

Many schools last year did issue more IIs due to fear of what @voxveritatisetlucis is talking about, as well as in response to the unexpected explosion in applications. What @gyngyn is saying, that anyone can verify by checking out last year's school specific threads or the WL support thread, is that what @voxveritatisetlucis is speculating about did not come to pass.

Basically, while people did attend more interviews than in past cycles due to the frictionless cost of attendance, and while many schools did interview more people and build larger WLs in anticipation of needing to go deeper into the lists if top candidates hoarded As, it didn't happen. As were distributed across the applicant pool just like before, and the cycle played out pretty much the way cycles have been playing out since the traffic rules changed in the 2018-19 cycle.

YMMV, but I wouldn't count on even more IIs going out than last year, and I also wouldn't count on more WL movement than usual as all the stars drop all their excess As next spring. Adcoms have been doing this forever. They know what they are doing, and they know how to resource protect. The rock stars @voxveritatisetlucis is referring to are a teeny tiny immaterial fraction of the applicant pool who do not move the needle on what happens to the rest of us.

Many schools last year did issue more IIs due to fear of what @voxveritatisetlucis is talking about, as well as in response to the unexpected explosion in applications. What @gyngyn is saying, that anyone can verify by checking out last year's school specific threads or the WL support thread, is that what @voxveritatisetlucis is speculating about did not come to pass.

Basically, while people did attend more interviews than in past cycles due to the frictionless cost of attendance, and while many schools did interview more people and build larger WLs in anticipation of needing to go deeper into the lists if top candidates hoarded As, it didn't happen. As were distributed across the applicant pool just like before, and the cycle played out pretty much the way cycles have been playing out since the traffic rules changed in the 2018-19 cycle.

YMMV, but I wouldn't count on even more IIs going out than last year, and I also wouldn't count on more WL movement than usual as all the stars drop all their excess As next spring. Adcoms have been doing this forever. They know what they are doing, and they know how to resource protect. The rock stars @voxveritatisetlucis is referring to are a teeny tiny immaterial fraction of the applicant pool who do not move the needle on what happens to the rest of us.
So if we shouldn't count on more IIs going out than last year, should we expect about the same as last year (so still more than usual) or fewer as gyngyn stated (so closer to pre-covid times)?

So if we shouldn't count on more IIs going out than last year, should we expect about the same as last year (so still more than usual) or fewer as gyngyn stated (so closer to pre-covid times)?
I'm not an insider like @gyngyn, so I don't have that perspective. But, as an applicant, it doesn't make sense to me that adcoms would cut back, because, in a virtual world, more interviews doesn't cost them anything but a little time, and it gives them more choices.

Keeping in mind that in person interviews always cost candidates way more than schools, considering travel and lodging for us and lunch and swag for them, money was never really the constraining element for them. As @LizzyM said, it's faculty time, both to conduct the interview and then to deliberate afterwards. That said, to the extent they made the adjustment last year, out of an abundance of caution and out of a nod to the significantly increased pool, it's difficult for me as an applicant to see why they would now cut back, and thereby limit their ultimate choices, just to save a little time.

This is, however, a question better posed to @gyngyn. @Goro has already said his school isn't doing more. Does @gyngyn know that her school is actually doing less? Regardless of what one school is doing here or there, my guess would be the number of IIs will be relatively static across the board as compared to last cycle.

FWIW, we all had the same speculation a few years ago about NYU when it went tuition free. Many people thought they would cut number of IIs down significantly since their yield was sure to skyrocket. Sure enough, their yield did double, from around 1/3 to 2/3, meaning they could have cut the number of IIs in half to fill their class with the same post-II acceptance rate.

But they didn't, apparently because they already had the capacity to see around 1,000 people per cycle. So they continue to do that. The chance of scoring an A after an interview has plummeted as a result, but they like choosing from among 1,000 candidates, so they continue to do so. My guess is that the same will apply with virtual interviews, and that schools will not scale back just because they realize they can. We'll see! :)

Last edited:
I'm not an insider like @gyngyn, so I don't have that perspective. But, as an applicant, it doesn't make sense to me that adcoms would cut back, because, in a virtual world, more interviews doesn't cost them anything but a little time, and it gives them more choices.

Keeping in mind that in person interviews always cost candidates way more than schools, considering travel and lodging for us and lunch and swag for them, money was never really the constraining element for them. As @LizzyM said, it's faculty time, both to conduct the interview and then to deliberate afterwards. That said, to the extent they made the adjustment last year, out of an abundance of caution and out of a nod to the significantly increased pool, it's difficult for me as an applicant to see why they would now cut back, and thereby limit their ultimate choices, just to save a little time.

This is, however, a question better posed to @gyngyn. @Goro has already said his school isn't doing more. Does @gyngyn know that her school is actually doing less? Regardless of what one school is doing here or there, my guess would be the number of IIs will be relatively static across the board as compared to last cycle.

FWIW, we all had the same speculation a few years ago about NYU when it went tuition free. Many people thought they would cut number of IIs down significantly since their yield was sure to skyrocket. Sure enough, their yield did double, from around 1/3 to 2/3, meaning they could have cut the number of IIs in half to fill their class with the same post-II acceptance rate.

But they didn't, apparently because they already had the capacity to see around 1,000 people per cycle. So they continue to do that. The chance of scoring an A after an interview has plummeted as a result, but they like choosing from among 1,000 candidates, so they continue to do so. My guess is that the same will apply with virtual interviews, and that schools will not scale back just because they realize they can. We'll see! :)
Ya, I guess that makes a lot of sense. So I'm assuming post-II A rates this cycle will most likely be comparable to the last cycle...

Ya, I guess that makes a lot of sense. So I'm assuming post-II A rates this cycle will most likely be comparable to the last cycle...
No reason they wouldn't be. Things worked out reasonably well for most schools. One or two overshot by a little and had to ask a few people to defer after being accepted. A few more actually had a lot less WL movement than usual, when we all thought there would be more due to what @voxveritatisetlucis was speculating about.

But most schools seemed to have a relatively normal cycle with relatively normal WL movement. Those that increased the II pool placed more people on the WL, and the additional people were not called off. Whether that's worse than never having the shot in the first place is a personal choice. I'd always rather have the shot, but I can understand others feeling like they got their hopes up for nothing, so YMMV.

I can only speak to one school, Pitt (#13 USNR). Last cycle they increased IIs by 25%. They found it to be an unnecessary hassle (much as LizzyM described), so this cycle they returned to their original II number. I don't know if any other schools are doing the same, though.

Reactions: 4 users
I am assuming you are asking about MD programs, not DO, right? The MD schools are not likely to increase the interviews, however, due to the over saturation of DO schools, many of those well-established programs will likely offer more invites to attract candidates, knowing the new schools will be piling on the interviews.

I am assuming you are asking about MD programs, not DO, right? The MD schools are not likely to increase the interviews, however, due to the over saturation of DO schools, many of those well-established programs will likely offer more invites to attract candidates, knowing the new schools will be piling on the interviews.
Yup! MD programs

it's difficult for me as an applicant to see why they would now cut back, and thereby limit their ultimate choices, just to save a little time.
The real cost of interviewing candidates is the time away from "productivity" from welcoming, insightful and thorough evaluators.
Taking two (unpaid) hours out of the day of the best clinicians in the medical center is a hefty price to pay.
It is only worth it if you are selective in your choice of interviewees.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 6 users
The real cost of interviewing candidates is the time away from "productivity" of welcoming, insightful and thorough evaluators.
Taking two (unpaid) hours out of the day of the best clinicians in the medical center is a hefty price to pay.
It is only worth it if you are selective in your choice of interviewees.
I totally understand, but isn't this the whole point?

The schools that increased IIs last year did so not only out of a perceived necessity due to fear of people hoarding As, but also in response to the dramatic year over year increase in the number of applications, which has only continued this year. @LizzyM and others have repeatedly stated over the years how the pool is trifurcated into 3 segments, and that the real action for the adcom is in the middle segment, rather than in the rock stars or the obvious rejects.

Blowing up the pool by 25% also means blowing up the middle by a comparable amount. The choices you make regarding who receives IIs in that group were always somewhat arbitrary, and you always risked missing out of genuine future stars in this part of your pool due to resource constraints.

Fine -- it is what it is. But now, you miraculously discover additional capacity to interview due to a perceived need last cycle. Why constrict it back now, when the pool is still 25% larger than 2 cycles ago? To save a few hundred hours, spread over several of your colleagues, over a period of however many months the interviewing and adcom meeting season lasts?

I guess some schools will make that choice, because they want to get the clinicians back to the patients, and they are indifferent to the arbitrary pre-II cuts they are making in that ever increasing pool right at the cut-off point. But, it's not like there is not a surplus of very worthy candidates who should receive IIs and won't, everywhere. And this surplus only increases in the larger pool. So all schools could certainly justify increasing IIs by 100-200 people in this environment, and be extremely selective in doing so. I'd just be surprised if some did not.

I totally understand, but isn't this the whole point?

The schools that increased IIs last year did so not only out of a perceived necessity due to fear of people hoarding As, but also in response to the dramatic year over year increase in the number of applications, which has only continued this year. @LizzyM and others have repeatedly stated over the years how the pool is trifurcated into 3 segments, and that the real action for the adcom is in the middle segment, rather than in the rock stars or the obvious rejects.

Blowing up the pool by 25% also means blowing up the middle by a comparable amount. The choices you make regarding who receives IIs in that group were always somewhat arbitrary, and you always risked missing out of genuine future stars in this part of your pool due to resource constraints.

Fine -- it is what it is. But now, you miraculously discover additional capacity to interview due to a perceived need last cycle. Why constrict it back now, when the pool is still 25% larger than 2 cycles ago? To save a few hundred hours, spread over several of your colleagues, over a period of however many months the interviewing and adcom meeting season lasts?

I guess some schools will make that choice, because they want to get the clinicians back to the patients, and they are indifferent to the arbitrary pre-II cuts they are making in that ever increasing pool right at the cut-off point. But, it's not like there is not a surplus of very worthy candidates who should receive IIs and won't, everywhere. And this surplus only increases in the larger pool. So all schools could certainly justify increasing IIs by 100-200 people in this environment, and be extremely selective in doing so. I'd just be surprised if some did not.
What they told us at Pitt was that the additional interviews turned out to be of little use. Essentially, they tracked the "extra" interviews they gave, and extremely few admits came from that pile (and I'm assuming that they also deems those admits easily replaceable by others not in the "extra" batch). Therefore, they concluded the extra time and effort wasn't worth it.

Reactions: 2 users
Why constrict it back now, when the pool is still 25% larger than 2 cycles ago? To save a few hundred hours, spread over several of your colleagues, over a period of however many months the interviewing and adcom meeting season lasts?
A surplus of acceptable candidates does no good with a fixed number of seats.
The burden of thousands of hours falls to the best evaluators, who also happen to be best clinicians. This is a huge commitment of time and a diversion from activities that add to the measurable productivity of the medical center.

What they told us at Pitt was that the additional interviews turned out to be of little use. Essentially, they tracked the "extra" interviews they gave, and extremely few admits came from that pile (and I'm assuming that they also deems those admits easily replaceable by others not in the "extra" batch). Therefore, they concluded the extra time and effort wasn't worth it.
Very interesting! This runs counter to the argument that applicants on the margin are fungible, but I guess it is what it is.

The burden of thousands of hours falls to the best evaluators, who also happen to be best clinicians. This is a huge commitment of time and a diversion from activities that add to the measurable productivity of the medical center.
Totally agree about the fixed number of seats. The argument would be that arbitrary cuts are made at the margins, and that even greater arbitrary cuts are made with a larger pool. I also understand that the entire undertaking involves thousands of hours, but I'm talking about hundreds of incremental hours to increase an interview pool by 20-30%, to match the increase in the applicant pool.

At the end of the day, YMMV, and different schools will make different choices. NYU chose not to pull back the number of IIs it issued when the number of As it needed to fill its class dropped from around 300 to around 150. Pitt decided incremental IIs were a waste of its time. As someone who is probably in the middle of most pools, I have skin in this game and an interest in seeing more IIs issued, so I am not unbiased here! :)

I also understand that the entire undertaking involves thousands of hours, but I'm talking about hundreds of incremental hours to increase an interview pool by 20-30%, to match the increase in the applicant pool.
We are not matching the pool. We are filling the required number of seats.
The pool could double in size (and quality) and we would still need only the number required to fill.

We are not matching the pool. We are filling the required number of seats.
The pool could double in size (and quality) and we would still need only the number required to fill.
Understood. But, if you don't match the pool, you will be arbitrarily eliminating more and more highly attractive candidates without ever meeting them.

As long as your yield remains the same among the smaller and smaller slice of your pool that you are actually interviewing, I guess it's all good. But the risk you run as your IIs skew more towards the top of your pool is that your yield will go down and your WL will not be deep enough to compensate. Moreover, you also risk losing wonderful applicants to a peer school that you would have been thrilled to have in a prior cycle, without ever even meeting them.

JMHO, but there must be a reason some of your peers are choosing to make the investment to meet more candidates, and this just might be it.

JMHO, but there must be a reason some of your peers are choosing to make the investment to meet more candidates, and this just might be it.
If they want to waste everyone's time, that's their business.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
If they want to waste everyone's time, that their business.
And I guess the silver lining, for those of us fortunate enough to score precious IIs at schools that are cutting back from last year, is that our chances of receiving an A increase meaningfully! I'd still rather have a better chance of receiving an II, and worry about the As later, but, I see your point.

And I guess the silver lining, for those of us fortunate enough to score precious IIs at schools that are cutting back from last year, is that our chances of receiving an A increase meaningfully! I'd still rather have a better chance of receiving an II, and worry about the As later, but, I see your point.
Tbh, as an early applicant, I would rather have fewer IIs so I have a higher chance of an A, at least given what two schools I interviewed at told me. Apparently the extra interviews were largely given to late applicants.

Of course, you could make the argument that these schools would have given out fewer early IIs if they did not intend to have extra IIs that cycle.

Tbh, as an early applicant, I would rather have fewer IIs so I have a higher chance of an A, at least given what two schools I interviewed at told me. Apparently the extra interviews were largely given to late applicants.

Of course, you could make the argument that these schools would have given out fewer early IIs if they did not intend to have extra IIs that cycle.
I understand. Once you have a few IIs, the calculus is easy, and the focus turns from just getting IIs to reducing competition. So, let's wind back to the beginning of the cycle -- would you rather schools send out more IIs, with a lower chance of converting them to As, or less?

Whatever you say, I GUARANTEE you that, even though it's still early, pretty much everyone with zero IIs to date would prefer more IIs. :)

I understand. Once you have a few IIs, the calculus is easy, and the focus turns from just getting IIs to reducing competition. So, let's wind back to the beginning of the cycle -- would you rather schools send out more IIs, with a lower chance of converting them to As, or less?

Whatever you say, I GUARANTEE you that, even though it's still early, pretty much everyone with zero IIs to date would prefer more IIs. :)
Tbh, my situation hasn't changed that much from beginning to now. I was hoping for IIs then, and I am still hoping for IIs now. At the same time, I hoped that schools weren't giving extra IIs. An unfortunate combination haha.

If the situation is more IIs, but no change in chances of As, I'd prefer fewer IIs. I want to be able to trust that the IIs I get are demonstrating a school's actual interest in me, rather than "eh, we got time for a couple more interviews, let's do the best of the Rs."

Tbh, my situation hasn't changed that much from beginning to now. I was hoping for IIs then, and I am still hoping for IIs now. At the same time, I hoped that schools weren't giving extra IIs. An unfortunate combination haha.
Understood. Again, are you really saying that if you had nothing today you wouldn't be hoping for more IIs rather than less?

Understood. Again, are you really saying that if you had nothing today you wouldn't be hoping for more IIs rather than less?
I have nothing today. I prefer fewer IIs that are genuine over more IIs that mean nothing. Don't get me wrong, getting that first II is going to be super exciting. But I still want the IIs I get to mean something.

If the situation is more IIs, but no change in chances of As, I'd prefer fewer IIs. I want to be able to trust that the IIs I get are demonstrating a school's actual interest in me, rather than "eh, we got time for a couple more interviews, let's do the best of the Rs."
Okay. I guess that's why Baskin-Robbins has 31 flavors! :)

I'd rather have a chance to sell myself at an interview as opposed to being rejected pre-II. Remember, at the cut-off, there is not a significant difference between the last people receiving IIs and the first people not.

You're talking about a few dozen (or even 100-200) out of a pool of 10,000+. The "best of the Rs" truly are indistinguishable from many of the people just above them in the scoring, at all schools.

Last edited:
I have nothing today. I prefer fewer IIs that are genuine over more IIs that mean nothing. Don't get me wrong, getting that first II is going to be super exciting. But I still want the IIs I get to mean something.
They all mean something, and they are all genuine, so I'm not sure where you are going with that. Schools that are sending out more IIs are doing so because there are more attractive candidates they want to meet, not because they have free time on their hands, so they are choosing to jerk around marginal candidates before rejecting them.

The only problem is that more IIs with the same number of spots equals a lower chance of receiving an A. But there is absolutely no guarantee that the last people receiving As are the first people being rejected. And, of course, if you weren't going to receive an II, but do if they send more, your chance of an A increases by an infinite percentage. The last II, no matter how many are sent, is not meaningless, anywhere.

honestly I hope they are! It would be a positive to come out of all this. The medical schools need to do more physically talking to students in my opinion! Better for everyone.

In other words, the law of diminishing returns apply. For some schools, if I'm to believe those spreadsheets, I wonder why they don't interview fewer applicants. A less than 25% acceptance rate looks like an opportunity for improvement. Are there that many duds discovered in their interview process or are they splitting hairs when discerning acceptable candidates? Could a relatively short pre-screen interview help reduce the number of full IIs? I've read about one school that does this.

In other words, the law of diminishing returns apply. For some schools, if I'm to believe those spreadsheets, I wonder why they don't interview fewer applicants. A less than 25% acceptance rate looks like an opportunity for improvement. Are there that many duds discovered in their interview process or are they splitting hairs when discerning acceptable candidates? Could a relatively short pre-screen interview help reduce the number of full IIs? I've read about one school that does this.
When admissions deans retire, the new ones don't want to risk an inadequate number of desirable matriculants, so they use metrics similar to the ones that were previously successful. By the time they are confident enough to make innovations, LCME will be planning a visit, so no one wants to rock the boat. By the next opportunity, they are ready to retire (or move on) and the cycle repeats.

A pre-interview interview sounds like a pain in the neck. Tell me more.

Reactions: 4 users
It could also be that reviewers have an unconscious tendency to give interviews to 1 out of every ___ applicant. Since the numbers are way up at most schools, this would lead to more IIs

It could also be that reviewers have an unconscious tendency to give interviews to 1 out of every ___ applicant. Since the numbers are way up at most schools, this would lead to more IIs
On the flip side, it's more likely that late applicants are hurt even more. It's more likely they'll just run out of II spots earlier than that substantially more applicants get IIs unless that was originally part of the plan.

I suspect (without evidence) that some schools that are increasing the number of applicants interviewed are doing so to show that they are doing everything possible to recruit a diverse class. If that means being more generous with interview invites and offers of admission to move the needle from x% URM in the M1 class to x%+2%, a a show of good faith, then the larger number of interviews and the larger number of offers (many of which will be turned down) will not affect the majority of the applicants but might mean that URM who looks good on paper will not go without an interview.

• Hmm
I suspect (without evidence) that some schools that are increasing the number of applicants interviewed are doing so to show that they are doing everything possible to recruit a diverse class. If that means being more generous with interview invites and offers of admission to move the needle from x% URM in the M1 class to x%+2%, a a show of good faith, then the larger number of interviews and the larger number of offers (many of which will be turned down) will not affect the majority of the applicants but might mean that URM who looks good on paper will not go without an interview.
But couldn't this simply happen by shifting the mix of IIs without actually increasing the number? Duke is one of the very few schools that has provided transparency in this area, and what they have published indicates that a greater percentage of URM applicants receive IIs as compared to the rest of their pool, and a greater percentage of URM interviewees receive As as compared to the rest of their pool. No need to increase the number of IIs to achieve this.

I'm not sure if there is enough data out there to analyze the following claim, but would you say that post interview acceptance rates are higher for URMs compared to their White/Asian counterparts at the same school? I just know of one school that reported URM offers after interviews, but I was wondering if this would be a reasonable theory.

I'm aware schools are on the lookout to increase diversity, so I wonder if the biggest hurdle for schools is to find qualified URMs to which they want to offer invites, but then after that, chances are looking better for URMs (assuming they don't absolutely bomb the interview) compared to the ORM pool, which of course is much bigger.

I'm not sure if there is enough data out there to analyze the following claim, but would you say that post interview acceptance rates are higher for URMs compared to their White/Asian counterparts at the same school? I just know of one school that reported URM offers after interviews, but I was wondering if this would be a reasonable theory.

I'm aware schools are on the lookout to increase diversity, so I wonder if the biggest hurdle for schools is to find qualified URMs to which they want to offer invites, but then after that, chances are looking better for URMs (assuming they don't absolutely bomb the interview) compared to the ORM pool, which of course is much bigger.
You hit the nail on the head. The important thing to realize, however, is that all the top schools are chasing the exact same candidates. So, while their chances of receiving an II and then an A are higher than the rest of the pool, they are a tiny fraction of the pool and they can each only occupy one seat at the end of the day. So, what happens with them does not materially impact what happens to everyone else.