Are my 2015 Kaplan MCAT Books Outdated?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SierraDelta

Reaction score
My goal is to take the MCAT by June of this year and apply to medical school, but the only resources I have are the 2015 Kaplan MCAT books. Are these outdated or obsolete? I want to do prepare as best as I can so I'm willing to buy newer books/resources if need be, but I'd prefer not to spend hundreds of dollars newer editions if the changes/updates are minor or trivial. Any information would be greatly appreciated!
Additionally, please share if you have any suggestions for other MCAT prep materials!

Members don't see this ad.

It's possible to make it work, but I also recommend using Khan Academy videos (free) to fill any content gaps. For practice, EK 101 passages, TPRH Science and CARS workbooks, NextStep material, UWorld, and obviously all AAMC material (but save these closer to test day when you're prepared from other resources), are all great.

Reactions: 1 user
I would expect them to be drastically different being that 2015 was the year the exam came out. Now that the exam has been live for several years, the books are probably a lot more accurate in terms of what is on the exam.

i think you'd be ok using them and supplementing. like going through someone else's current EK books and getting some idea what is different. or going through AAMC subject list and making sure it matches up. and if it doesn't completely, then learn those areas.

cheap current books like barrons and/or kaplan 528 (very condensed but well explained material) could help too.

My goal is to take the MCAT by June of this year and apply to medical school, but the only resources I have are the 2015 Kaplan MCAT books. Are these outdated or obsolete? I want to do prepare as best as I can so I'm willing to buy newer books/resources if need be, but I'd prefer not to spend hundreds of dollars newer editions if the changes/updates are minor or trivial. Any information would be greatly appreciated!
Additionally, please share if you have any suggestions for other MCAT prep materials!

I doubt much at all has changed, considering the material we need to know for the MCAT is essentially "set in stone (the science won't change)". I think if you prepare well with other sources (Khan Academy, AAMC, Uworld, etc) you will be able to find if there is gaps in your content review. I'd personally say to save your money and spend it on practice questions and full length exams. Best of luck!