Are my chances for dental school ruined?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cheesestick

Reaction score
So I pretty much screwed up in first year due to some personal issues and landed with a 40.7% average as I failed three courses. (I'm a Canadian student, so I'm not sure what my percent converts over to as a 4.0 scale). I had to take a year off and am now back in school for my second year. My average for this year is 80%. However, my overall average is 59.7%. I was just wondering if my chances for dental school are over? I plan to aim for at least an 85% average in my last two years. I have about 60 hours of dental shadowing and 100+ hours of volunteering at the moment. I plan to take the DAT next year and am aiming for a 23-24. Will dental schools look down upon my terrible first year GPA? And should I explain it in my personal statement, i.e just briefly mention it? Due to my issues in first year I also dropped 4 courses. Will these 3 failed courses and 4 W's severely affect the way that they consider my transcript? Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks :)

Members don't see this ad.

Is it possible to retake the courses with the low grades?

Is it possible to retake the courses with the low grades?
All course attempts will count towards the GPA calculation. AADSAS does not do grade replacement. That said, if you are below the threshold (Usually a C), you will need to retake anyways.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yep! I was able to retake the courses that I failed/withdrew from over the summer and during the first semester.
If you did well during the retakes, continue to do well, and do very well on the DAT, then you have a good chance.