Are my chances slim now with my first C+ for Med school? Is this the end? I am in a SMP program BTW! Applying this cycle!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chinyere27

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey! I received my first C+ and I am freaking out! My GPA will be a 3.5 in the SMP and this was my last semester! Are my chances slim now? What should I do? Just a little background about me! I am a URM female and I graduated undergrad with a very very low GPA. sGPA 2.3 and cGPA 2.6. I had a lot going on but I matured and grew! I got accepted into a MPH program after undergrad and received a 3.9 GPA. Fast forward to now and I am in a SMP program and received my first C+ with a 3.5 GPA now. Are my chances slim now?

I have lots of EC's such as creating a clinic and school in a different country that my family and I run, published research, volunteer at a clinic for patients who have little to no insurance, work as a medical scribe, clinical research and etc... I want to apply only to MD schools because for one I never shadowed a DO and I know it looks bad to apply if I didn't. I am just stuck on the C+ I received and I know it will raise eyebrows.

Any advice, success stories, the hard truth or just anything lol will be greatly appreciated! I plan to apply this cycle and I am taking the MCAT next month...my practice tests have been in the 510-514 range.

Members don't see this ad.

Have you talked with the SMP director? That person should have a better sense holistically about your concerns.

That's not a great distraction to have going into the MCAT. Somehow, stay focused in doing well.

Reactions: 1 users
Yes, I have and she basically told me to maintain the GPA I have since this is my last semester. That is very true this is a distraction for the MCAT. I am just worried of what med schools will say/think

Members don't see this ad :)
That is in DO school territory if I remember what Goro has said to people correctly. As long as your fine having a DO heavy list you should be good.

Good luck on the MCAT. I never held a single bad grade against a student who had a solid overall app. A solid MCAT covers up many warts. Good luck and best wishes!

Reactions: 2 users
Thank you everyone! This honestly boosted my confidence

• Care
Nope I got 6 interviews and an acceptance to an MD program with like 14 Cs lol

Nope I got 6 interviews and an acceptance to an MD program with like 14 Cs lol

They're talking about a C in an SMP, which you generally want to avoid. But OP, do well on the MCAT and you should be OK.

They're talking about a C in an SMP, which you generally want to avoid. But OP, do well on the MCAT and you should be OK.
I got one C in this SMP. Everything else consists of a mixture of A's and B+