Are my chances to do psych pretty much over? PGY1 IM resident reapplicant with 0 II.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score
Hi all, current PGY1 IM resident that is kinda disheartened with 0 II. Last year as a DO senior I had 7 with a 230, 230 step 1 and 2 respectively. Comlex lower but I know it doesn't matter when USMLE is good.
I have solid PS, LORs, psych EC and research but didn't match last year and had to SOAP into IM.

While I am at a supportive program, I still am trying for psych. I applied to 100 programs and have 0 II... Is it over for me? Around this time last year I think I had 3 II.

Any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
Hi all, current PGY1 IM resident that is kinda disheartened with 0 II. Last year as a DO senior I had 7 with a 230, 230 step 1 and 2 respectively. Comlex lower but I know it doesn't matter when USMLE is good.
I have solid PS, LORs, psych EC and research but didn't match last year and had to SOAP into IM.

While I am at a supportive program, I still am trying for psych. I applied to 100 programs and have 0 II... Is it over for me? Around this time last year I think I had 3 II.

Any advice?

I would send out letters of interest like yesterday (if you haven't already).

Look at places that have PGY-2 openings and apply ASAP. And agreed with sending letters of interest. Some places that have PGY2 they accept yearly include Cornell, UW, Baylor, Brown, Johns Hopkins, U Maryland, UCI, University of New Mexico, Emory, and there may be others out there. Also get in contact with your old program director, the one from your current residency or any PD really and get added to ADDPRT or have them inform you of openings. This is where PDs discuss openings when people leave positions and need to replace them.

Members don't see this ad :)
Look at places that have PGY-2 openings and apply ASAP. And agreed with sending letters of interest. Some places that have PGY2 they accept yearly include Cornell, UW, Baylor, Brown, Johns Hopkins, U Maryland, UCI, University of New Mexico, Emory, and there may be others out there. Also get in contact with your old program director, the one from your current residency or any PD really and get added to ADDPRT or have them inform you of openings. This is where PDs discuss openings when people leave positions and need to replace them.
I've been in touch with my old PD and my school's Dean.

Contact every PD from every program. Try the lower tier programs. Some people leave their PGY 2 year of psych which means they have an opening. I did residency at two programs. At my first program, we got an OB/Gyn resident who was getting kicked out of her program. I left my first residency program and went elsewhere , they had a need (to cover call which was heavy) because one of the PGY 2's didn't pass step 3. Things open up. If you really like psychiatry, you will definitely see your share of it in IM'

OP if you are set on psych, worst case scenario is even if you don't get accepted this cycle, keep contacting programs and let them know you would be open to transfer in as a pgy-2 halfway through the year if need to. I know of people who have completed 1.5-2 years of med/surg residencies who started as a pgy2. (basically only 6-12 extra months), since most of pgy-1 year in psych is medicine electives anyway and pgy-4 year is electives.