Are my EC's good enough for top 20?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ajc28

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
-

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Volunteering:

200 hours in ER at a hospital
2 years with Red Cross (homeless shelter)
Member of an organization that requires 100 hours a year (should get on E-board for that organization)

Shadowing:

Around 100 hours with 4 different doctors

Research:

Will have 2 years in a cancer lab at the time of application. Probably won't have a publication until after the application process

Misc.

Chemistry Tutor
Bio TA
Peer-Advisor for pre-med club (hope to get on E-board)
Golden Key Honor Society
Pre-med Honor society

Not astoundingly impressive (though certainly they are good), so if you are asking if your ECs will make up for bad stats, no. With good stats, you could work with this.

Thanks. I have a 3.94 science and overall GPA at a top 15 school. Haven't taken the mcat but have been practicing in the 35-40 range

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks. I have a 3.94 science and overall GPA at a top 15 school. Haven't taken the mcat but have been practicing in the 35-40 range

100% guaranteed unless you suck at interviewing.

-

Last edited:
If you get a 30+ you'll probably get into medical school. If you get the range you've been practicing in you're competitive for any school in the country.

Not astoundingly impressive (though certainly they are good)
I'd agree with this. Your ECs are solid, but nothing stands out. Could you maybe work on some kind of leadership experience beyond the e-board (which you haven't even started yet) before you submit? Top schools aim to train future leaders in medicine, and something about your application should suggest to them that you have that potential. If the premed club is doing community service projects, you might consider taking on the organization of those efforts.