Are my EC's good enough

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WhiteCoatSyndrome

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am going into my sophomore year of college is this is what I have thus far

1 year Alpha Lambda Delta Honor Society
1 year Pre-Med Club
1 year Phi Delta Theta Fraternity, Executive Committee
5 years volunteering at local church
1 year volunteering at free health clinic
1 year lab assistant

I also have worked 1 semester at the local boys and girls club and now work at the church I used to volunteer at.

I am also planning on joing on the Chemistry Club, becoming a biology tutor, and college mentors for kids. I am considering also trying to start volunteering at a local hospital.

If I do all of this as well as remain consistent with the activities I am already a part of will it be enough for med school admission?

Members don't see this ad.

I am going into my sophomore year of college is this is what I have thus far

1 year Alpha Lambda Delta Honor Society
1 year Pre-Med Club
1 year Phi Delta Theta Fraternity, Executive Committee
5 years volunteering at local church
1 year volunteering at free health clinic
1 year lab assistant

I also have worked 1 semester at the local boys and girls club and now work at the church I used to volunteer at.

I am also planning on joing on the Chemistry Club, becoming a biology tutor, and college mentors for kids. I am considering also trying to start volunteering at a local hospital.

If I do all of this as well as remain consistent with the activities I am already a part of will it be enough for med school admission?

This probably should be in the "what are my chances?" section but I can tell you now you look a little short on clinical experience, unless you had hands on time at the free health clinic. When it comes to clubs, are you a member or an officer, because I think it would really help if you were an officer.

Volunteering at the local hospital is the right move and you need to get to work on the shadowing as well, lab assistant isn't a bad move, but why not just do research, you get to work in the lab and a lot of schools like to see some research rather than just setting up and tearing down labs, unless of course you meant research as a lab assistant (lab assistant at my university always means setting up labs and practicals and then putting everything away when it's done)

I always find it helpful to keep track of things in hours, 1 year experience could mean 1 hour a week every other week for a year or 10 hours every week for a year. ECs are important IMO find something that makes you stick out a little bit, but make sure you cover all the standards, it looks like you have great foundation, keep it up.

make sure you are actually getting something from you're activities (the older ppl can correct me if I'm wrong here) but it's better to be involved and have a substantial role in your activities than just paying a fee. but be sure to get clinical exposure (volunteering, shadowing), leadership (club,etc.), maybe some research? and most importantly doing what you want (sports, clubs that are your hobby). don't overwhelm your weekly schedule you're still in college.

Members don't see this ad :)
oh ohh I see a laundry list in the making...:(

Never a good strategy do things you like to do and focus on those things alone..work in a lab get publication..be in a club get on the E-board...do put 20 things on the list that you were not passionate about cause adcoms can see right through your application...

-Good Luck :)

try delivering a homeless baby in a soup kitchen. that would really boost your app.