• Funniest Story on the Job Contest Starts Now!

Contest starts now and ends September 27th. Winner will receive a special user banner and $10 Amazon Gift card!

JOIN NOW
  • Site Updates Coming Next Week

Site updates are coming next week on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Click the button below to learn more!

LEARN MORE

MD Are my extracurriculars competitive?

superintroduction

Aug 14, 2019
  1. Pre-Medical
I have 600 hours of hospital volunteering total, 150 hours with a hospice, 1000 hours as a scribe, 800 of research, 1 poster presentation, 100 hours of shadowing in 2 different specialties, 100 hours of tutoring, 100 hours of TA, 140 hours of free clinic, 850 hours of non-clinical volunteering with underserved populations, and 500 hours of working with an equity committee.

About the Ads

superintroduction

Aug 14, 2019
  1. Pre-Medical
Where is your state of residence ? Which schools did you apply to ? What were your previous MCAT scores ?

I'm in washington and applied to pretty much all low tier MD and mid-tier out of state private as well as UWSOM. My previous score was a 495 so I improved 6 points to a 501. Will coming from a medically underserved region and wanting to work with underserved populations help my case? My whole app is centered around that in my PS and evident from my ECs of working with such populations.

superintroduction

Aug 14, 2019
  1. Pre-Medical
i would apply to at least 10-15 DO schools, since the MD schools may be a reach, other than In state MD schools . Are you an underrepresented minority ?

I'm an ORM I believe, from what I see is that private out of state don't discriminate based on residence so is there any particular reason I should stick with in state? Don't have much options for in state

Faha

7+ Year Member
Sep 15, 2012
  1. Attending Physician
The GPA-MCAT grid shows you have less than a 15% chance for a MD acceptance. You should apply broadly to DO schools. Most DO schools do not require a DO LOR. I suggest these schools with your stats:
PNWU-COM
TUNCOM
ATSU-SOMA
UIWSOM
ACOM
ARCOM
NYIT-AR
PCOM Georgia and South Georgia
UP-KYCOM
WVSOM
MU-COM
VCOM (all schools)
CUSOM
LECOM (all schools)
You do have very good ECs so you could try these MD schools:
U Washington
Washington State
Vermont
Seton Hall
New York Medical College
Drexel
Temple
NOVA MD
TCU-UNT
Creighton
Loyola
Medical College Wisconsin
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
Wright State

About the Ads
This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.